Ch. 24

Ginny stared down at the piece of parchment in her hand, sighing quietly to herself. After what seemed like hours, she finally managed to write out what happened, and she decided to leave Blaise's name out of it. She decided that it would be good to just tell him what happened and let him decide like Pansy had suggested, even though deep down she already knew what she wanted to do.

"Knock knock."

She turned to see Hermione standing in the doorway. "Are you almost ready for rounds?"

Ginny nodded and folded up the parchment, tucking it into her pocket. "Yeah. Can we stop by the Owlery too?"

"Was already planning on it," Hermione said quietly, holding up a letter of her own.

Ginny's eyes went wide and she asked, "Are you doing it?"

Hermione nodded, smiling slightly. "I'm just tired of waiting on him."

"And your outing with Draco today had nothing to do with it?" Ginny asked slyly as she grabbed her coat.

Shrugging, Hermione's smile only widened. "It might've play a small part, but you know I've been thinking about it already."

"True."

They quietly left the dorm and made their way slowly around the castle as they did. Hermione's letter was burning a hole in her pocket as what she had written weighed heavily on her mind.

"Is it bad that I hope Harry breaks it off?"

Hermione looked over at Ginny curiously before answering, "I don't think it's bad; maybe odd, but I'm sure lots of people go through the same thing. Why don't you just break it off?"

"I don't know..." Ginny sighed. "I think I'd feel more guilty about what happened if I was the one to break it off. It's hard to explain."

"I think I understand," Hermione said. "But you can't let yourself continue to feel bad, Gin. You have to move on at some point for your own sanity."

"I know, I know..."

They finished their rounds rather quickly and both slowly made their way towards the Owlery. Hermione's stomach was a fit of nerves and Ginny's wasn't much better, but they both climbed the stairs and pulled their letters out.

Ginny found her owl rather quickly considering how tiny he was, while Hermione used one of the school owls. Her hands were shaking as she tied the letter to the owl's leg and when the owl took off, she felt a mixture of relief and nausea.

"Well, too late to stop it now," She muttered as she turned around.

Ginny was holding Pigwidgeon in her hands, staring down at him. Hermione smiled slightly, knowing just how nervous Ginny was.

"Are you second-guessing it?" Hermione asked quietly.

"No," Ginny said hesitantly. "I don't know. I just need to get it over with."

Ginny took a deep breath and nearly ran to the window, tossing Pig up into the air before she could unclip the letter and watching as the small bird spread its wings and took off. She stared at him until he was no longer in sight, and then she relaxed slightly.

"I need something to drink," Ginny muttered as she turned around. "Want to go get drunk in the Room of Requirement now that rounds are done?"

Hermione laughed slightly. "Ginny, I'm not letting you do that. That's not what you need right now."

"No, but I can't think of anything else that could help me stop worrying," Ginny answered as they walked back down the steps.

"You just need a distraction," Hermione suggested.