Ch. 34

"Merlin, there are so many dresses..."

Hermione looked around nervously as they entered the shop, running a thumb over one of the nearby dresses.

"This is going to be so much fun!" Ginny exclaimed as she clapped her hands together. "Where do we even start?"

"Well I already see a few dresses that I like," Pansy said as she looked past them. "Since you two are going together, I think it would be cute if you coordinate."

"You mean like same color?" Hermione asked curiously as she went to one of the racks.

"Same color, same dress in different colors, similarly styled dresses," Pansy shrugged. "It's really up to you two."

Hermione looked over to see that Ginny was already pulling a few dresses to try on and she got to work searching through the rack that she was at. A sudden gasp made her whirl around and she saw Ginny holding up two dresses with the widest grin on her face.

"These," She said. "These are perfect!"

Hermione looked between the two dresses, chewing on the inside of her cheek. "I'd have to try it on...it looks rather tight."

Pansy shook her head. "We can always adjust that. You definitely need to try them on though!"

The longer she looked at the two dresses, the more she liked them. They were definitely not her usual style, but she was starting to really like the idea of branching out to different types of clothes.

"Alright, let's try them!"

Not too long after, Hermione and Ginny both came out of the dressing rooms wearing the two dresses that Ginny had picked. Pansy grinned at the two of them and walked in a circle around both of them.

"I like them!" She said excitedly. "It's got a total opposites vibe, which in this case is perfect since it's Halloween!"

Hermione turned to look in the mirror, twisting from side to side. "You're right; it's subtle enough for it to kind of be costumes while still being dressy."

Then she frowned and pointed towards her bust. "Do you think the neckline dips a bit low though?"

"Yeah, that was my concern too," Ginny said as she grimaced. "If it wasn't for a school ball, I'd say it's perfect."

"But it is for a school ball," Pansy nodded. "I'm sure we can raise that so that it's appropriate. How do you like the fit?"

"I love it," Ginny grinned, looking over at Hermione.

Hermione was still twisting around in the mirror and picking at different parts of the dress. "It's not too tight, right?"

"I don't think so," Pansy said. "I mean, you wore a ball gown last time there was a ball. I think it's time that you went a little outside of your comfort zone."

Ginny nodded in agreement, squeezing Hermione's hand. "It looks fantastic, and I'm already kind of attached to the subtle costume theory."

Hermione laughed at that. "Honestly, I am too. Alright, I guess this is it!"

"Well that was fast," Pansy grinned. "Great, now you two can help me!"

Nearly a week had passed; Draco and Blaise sat quietly together in the common room, staring out at the lake's murky waters. Every now and then a school of fish or a random creature would swim by in a dark shadow, but neither one of them said anything about it. In fact, they hadn't talked for the past hour since they were both so deep in thought about everything, and with them being the only two people in the common room, there was no other noises to break the silence.