Ch. 50

Late June had arrived, the end of the school year. Everyone in the group had passed their exams, and Ginny was ecstatic to find out that she had been asked to join the Holyhead Harpies for their upcoming season. The group celebrated their successes with a small feast together in the Room of Requirement, where they had been spending a lot of their evenings together in the last few months of the school year.

The last day of the term was a very sentimental day for everyone in the castle, especially the students who had returned to finish their last year. It was essentially a free day, with the only restriction being not to leave the castle grounds.

The group all decided to spend the day walking around the castle and reminiscing on everything that happened before the end-of-term feast and the graduation ceremony. They even let Hermione to spend an hour by herself in the library, slowly walking through the shelves quietly with a sad smile. But Draco made sure that she was happy the rest of the time. Eventually the group made their way out to the lake, conjuring blankets to lay down near each other while they told stories and laughed together.

"Wait, wait!" Pansy interrupted and stared at Draco. "You never told me Hermione was the one who broke your nose third year!"

"I knew," Theo grinned. "I was there when it happened!"

Pansy turned back to gape at her boyfriend. "And you didn't tell me?!"

"He threatened me!" Theo exclaimed, pointing towards a grinning Draco.

Hermione elbowed the blond next to her and scowled. "You didn't tell anyone it was me?"

"I was embarrassed," He answered truthfully. "I wasn't about to go around telling everyone that the smartest witch in the school had punched me in the face!"

She laughed at that. "I appreciate the attempt at flattery."

"It's not flattery if it's true," He retorted with a grin, making her roll her eyes.

Everyone laughed at that and things fell silent for a few moments. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence at all; in fact, the group had started to grow content recently simply sitting in each other's company.

"Alright, so we know that Draco, Blaise, and Theo are all going into business together," Ginny started, looking around. "Pansy, what are you going to be doing?"

"Truthfully, I haven't decided yet," Pansy admitted. "I've got a couple leads that I'm going to pursue, but I'm not sure which one is going to work out yet."

"Well I'm sure you're going to do wonderful things," Theo said proudly, giving her a kiss.

She smiled at him and then looked over to ask, "What about you, Hermione? Do you know what you're going to be doing?"

Hermione shifted on her blanket and smiled. "Kingsley's actually offered me a guaranteed job position in the Ministry, and I just have to decide where I want to go."

"Any job?" Blaise asked in surprise. "So you could just jump to Head of a department?"

She laughed and shook her head. "No, no! It'd be the entry level job unless I'm qualified for a position above it, but I'm considering working for the Beings division of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures."

Everyone in the group started to speak at once about her decision with smiles on all their faces. Draco kissed her temple and said, "That sounds like a really good place for you to go; I'm guessing you're going to be advocating for house-elves again?"

She raised an eyebrow at him. "How did you know about that?"

"Are you kidding?" He laughed. "Every Gryffindor in our fourth year was complaining that your actions with the house-elves was causing them to refuse to clean your dorms."