Ch. 46

Hermione shifted nervously in her seat, watching the door of the Three Broomsticks open with each new patron. It was the Saturday before Valentine's Day, the day that she agreed to meet with Ron and Harry for old times' sake and try to have a good time together. She couldn't deny that she missed hanging out with the two of them, but there was a lingering feeling of awkwardness at the thought with how their situations all turned out.

The door opened again and she perked up, recognizing a flash of red hair. Ron made his way over to her with a grin, and she faltered when she noticed he was alone.

"Where's Harry?" She asked nervously as he sat down across from her.

"Oh, he's coming," Ron answered quickly, looking towards the bar. "He got caught up with a small crowd. You know how it is, the Boy Who Lived and all."

Hermione shook her head, hoping that he was telling the truth. "He never could escape the crowds."

Ron shook his head and then stood up, nodding behind him. "Care for a butterbeer? First one's on me."

She nodded and he disappeared, returning a few minutes later with two butterbeers in hand. Hermione frowned as he set one down in front of her and returned to his seat.

"Do you think Harry will be long?" She asked, looking towards the door again.

"I'm not sure, honestly," Ron shrugged before taking a sip of his beer and then nodding towards her. "How have you been, 'Mione?"

"Oh, you know," She said lightly. "Just studying and stressing over exams."

He grinned. "Of course. I still don't know why you study everything, you already-"

"I don't know everything, Ron," She interrupted in a slightly annoyed tone. It was starting to grate on her nerves that everyone was saying that.

"But you pretty much do; that's not a bad thing," He said.

With a sigh, she looked down at her mug. "I'm just tired of everyone saying it."

"I'm sorry." He took another drink of his butterbeer and looked back towards the door. "So, are you still with Malfoy?"

Mentally rolling her eyes, she nodded. "Yes, Draco and I are still together."

"I still can't wrap my head around that," He muttered, shaking his head.

"He's not a bad person anymore, Ron," Hermione said quietly.

"That doesn't change the things he did in the past," Ron said. "How can you just so easily forget everything that he's done and said?"

"I haven't forgotten it," She answered, straightening up in her seat. "I accepted that it happened and have since moved on."

Ron's mouth formed a thin line as he avoided her eyes and he let out a deep sigh. "I just don't believe he's changed. I'm worried something is going to happen to you."

She scoffed and scowled at him. "I am fully capable of protecting myself if anything happens, and Draco would never hurt me."

"How do you know that?" Ron asked.

"Because we've spent enough time together alone and he's had multiple chances to do something," Hermione said. Then she shook her head and took a deep breath. "I didn't come here to have this argument. I came here to catch up with you and Harry."

"I'm sorry, it just bothers me," Ron said quietly.

She shook her head again and took a drink. "Is Harry still coming?"

"He should be here soon."

"Good, because we can't exactly hang out like old times if he isn't here," She said, trying to lighten the mood.