Chapter 1

Before you start reading, I just hope you enjoy because I really enjoyed writing this chapter.

~Isabel

Ⓒ2018 AshryverArcheron. All Rights Reserved.

______________________________________________

I sat in Mama's room as she tended to my wounds. I had, again, gotten in a fight with the other wolves. She kissed my arm, and my forehead before smiling down at me.

"My beautiful daughter, when will you learn to be more careful?" I grinned, showing her my two missing front teeth.

"When my teeth grow back." She chuckled, and helped me off her bathroom counter.

"Now, go on and see if Papa is home yet." I ran downstairs and saw that Papa wasn't sitting in the table, or in his office. His things weren't even in his room, that meant he would stay extra late. I ran back upstairs, and knocked on the door. I waited for Mama to answer, but no one did. I knocked again, but no one answered. I open the door, and don't see her in her room. I go to the bathroom, and when I open it my eyes widened in horror. A man stood over Mama's bleeding body. I gasp in fear, and the man turns to me. Dark black eyes staring into my eyes. I froze in shock as he walked up to me. With the point of his knife. He drove the tip of it through my skin from the top right corner of my forehead to the bottom of my right chin. It went through my eyebrow, my eyelid, and my lips. I scream from the burning pain, and he smirks.

My eyes snap open, and I breath heavily from my bed. I look around the room, and feel my wound burning as if I was just cut. I close my eyes and feel tears running down my face. I whimper in fear, sadness, and hurt. Mama died that day, and Papa was torn. I've never seen him so broken, a year later on the same day, he died. My brother was the Alpha of the pack now, and I was his Beta. I get out of bed, and walk to my bathroom. I splash water on my face, and look up into the mirror. I stare at my face, and touch the scar I had. He had done it with silver, which meant my skin wouldn't heal. I had dark blue eyes with a bit of grey in the center. My skin was tan, but not too tan. My hair is wavy and a pitch black. I had freckles dotting over my nose, and under my eyes. Cibil says I look just like her, only with Papa's hair. May they rest in peace. The Beta and his wife raised Cibil and I after their death. The Beta led the pack until Cibil turned 18. That's when I lost my brother to the pack. I put my hair in a ponytail, and put on my leggings and hoodie. Nothing better than a morning run at three in the morning. I lock my room and go to the kitchen. No one was up, so I could sneak an apple or bottle of water.

"Didn't expect to see you here, Cal." I shrug, and take a bite out of my apple. My best friend, Ernesh, stood there.

"Well, I couldn't sleep so I decided to go on a run. What are you doing up, Nesh?" He shrugs and leans against the wall.

"Contemplating my existence in this pack." I look away, he would have been Beta. I stole his spot, he says it doesn't affect him. But it does.

"You know I would have given you the position." He shakes his head.

"It's not your fault, you're doing good I know you are." I jump off the counter and hand him my apple.
"But you would do better. I know something is going to come up, and i'll have to go. I know you'll do better than me." He nods, and takes my apple. He eats the rest, and I drink the rest of my water.

"I'll be back soon. I just need to go out for a run." He nods, and I run. No, not around the pack. I run to my old house, where Mama was killed. Where I was wounded, and where Papa took his last breath. I stare down at the doornob, and let out a breathy sigh. I open it, and go inside. It looked the same as always, but the shivers that ran down my arms, legs, and back proved I was still afraid. I look at the living room, and can still see myself playing with Cibil while he chased me. Papa coming home, and picking me up in his arms before picking up Cibil and tickling us both. I look at the kitchen table, and can still smell the way I woke up everyday before school. Papa sitting at the table, Cibil in his uniform, and me running down the stairs in my little skirt and dress shirt. I had my hair in pigtails, and Mama picked me up while serving the food. She fixed my hair before kissing my cheek, and letting me eat. I look at Papa's office, and step over broken glass to enter it. I open it, and can just see him. Sitting down, and working non stop. I inhale sharply remembering how he saw me when he entered. I look at the stairs, and slowly move up the stairs until i'm standing in front of their door. I push it open, and it's as if it all happened again. When the man left, I ran to Mama. I started crying on her, but she wasn't moving. Her green eyes had been staring into nothingness when I saw her. I laid on her crying, and hugging her. I thought she was thinking. That's what she would always do. She'd stop and stare at the ceiling while debating about something. Papa had been training Cibil, and they both got home to find me sleeping on Mama. They thought both of us had died, until they checked my pulse. They buried her, and Papa was never the same after that.