Chapter 23: The Parents

Carly: Today's the day. I'm meeting my parents. Plus my Mom's side. We pulled up to this huge house, and my heart started pounding. It was a beautiful house, and you could hear country music and chatter drifting through the windows. I don't know if I'm ready for this! Sandy hugged me and soon everyone else joined in. Group hug? Dacky had parked the RV at the very end of the driveway, so we got out and walked to the front door. They all stood behind me, and I knocked before I could change my mind. "It's always open!" (Yes. That was a Full House reference.) Shouted what sounded like everyone with a strong southern accent. I nervously pushed the door open, and everyone inside stared at us. A black woman with pepper grey streaks hobbled forward, leaning on a cane. "Hello young lady, can I help you?" She asked, her voice reminded of Mama Odie from Princess and the Frog. "Hi. Um..." What do I say?! Dacky knew, so she said "Mam, do you know Leshawna and Harold?" The woman laughed a dry raspy laugh and said "Are you some of them fan kids?" We laughed and then I blurted out "imleshawnaandharoldsdaughter!" She gave me a weird look and said "Could you say that again Darlin?" I was shaking at this point because all eyes were on me. "I'm. Leshawna. And. Harold's. Daughter." Everyone went silent, and the woman said "What's your name child?" I said "Carly Edwards Froud." The entire room cheered and the woman wrapped me in a hug. "You're parents will be here soon." "Thank you Mam." I whispered. "Call me Gigi." My friends and I spent the rest of the day getting to know my family. There's Gigi's sons, Vince, Thomas, Ben, Robin, and only daughter, Leshawna. Vince has a wife named Velma, and they have three kids, Taylor, whose 16, Rodney, whose 12, and Hailey, whose 8. Thomas is engaged to a woman named Samantha who is pregnant with his baby, a little boy they're naming Kristofer. Ben is dating a woman named Michelle. Robin is married to a man named Julien, and they adopted a little boy named Edward. There are way more, but those are the main people. After a few hours of cooking and socializing, the door opened. My mom was carrying one bag while my dad struggled with five. I stepped into the entrance hall, and when they saw me, they stared for a while. "Hi Mama. Hi Dad." I almost started crying. "Carly? Baby? Is that you?" My Mama asked. I nodded, crying now. They dropped the bags and ran to me. I was sobbing and they held me for a while. I was finally home.