Chapter 35: Gwent

Gwen sat on a stool at the cluttered kitchen counter in their craptastic apartment, drinking black coffee and staring out the window

Gwen sat on a stool at the cluttered kitchen counter in their craptastic apartment, drinking black coffee and staring out the window. She was not ready for today. It passed by every year and each year it was just as painful. Trent trudged into the kitchen and hugged her from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder. "That gig was late last night. I figured you'd sleep in." Gwen said. "Not today." He mumbled. 

He picked up one of the many pictures on their counter and said "Do you remember this?" The picture showed Trent holding a guitar in one arm and a little girl in the other, who had her tiny arms around his neck and seemed to be squeezing with all her might. Gwen hummed and smiled. "Mm hm. It was your first gig and you were so nervous. Then right before you went out she ran up to you and hugged you and told you pretend everybody was in their underwear." Trent laughed and said "Yeah, the underwear thing didn't work. But looking at her wiggling in her seat and pointing at me to you did."

"What about this one?" "Now that was a day to remember."

Gwen laughed at her daughter, who was dancing to Trent's guitar. Gwen herself was working on a painting  that would go up in an art exhibit. "Mama dat's pwitty." Said Leah, waddling her way over to Gwen's easel.  "I'm going to go start dinner." Said Trent, ruffling Leah's head of black fluff. "Thank you sweetie. Do you want to paint too Leah?" Leah nodded enthusiastically and smiled, showing off her total of six teeth. "Ok wait right here I'll go get your stuff."

Gwen rummaged through a drawer in the kitchen, looking for  the kid paints. After about ten minutes of looking around their kitchen , she headed back to the living room to find that Leah had already  started painting. On the wall. "Look Mama! I paint!" Leah said proudly. 

Together they moved their couch away from the wall. When they had repainted their living room they couldn't bear to cover up Leah's painting, so they just painted around it. But then there was a random unpainted corner of the living room and it got too sad to look at so they moved the couch in front of it. 

Gwen ran her fingers over the smears of color that her baby had put there. Tears ran down her cheeks and she whispered "Happy Birthday Leah."