25.

The dance floor was crowded with people dancing, talking, and grinding. You weren't really into the last part, but dancing sounded like fun.

The song switched to one you really liked, and you began dancing with Sam. She laughed as you went crazy, swaying your hips and dancing around her.

What had gotten into you? Maybe it was just the freedom of the night that made you dance and feel so carefree.

Peter was standing by the wall awkwardly with Ned, and his tie was still crooked. He kept seeing glimpses of your face and would stare for a few seconds until he remembered where he was, who he was with.

Time was passing slowly. You joined a few groups of people who weren't eyeing you rudely, but you mostly stayed with Sam.

During a few slow song breaks, you got some water and rested at one of the tables. The food wasn't too good, but the cookies were great.

"We should go dance," Ned said to Peter. "We look like loners. And you look upset."

"We are loners, and I am upset."

"Well, come on, have a good night. What was the point of even going if you were just going to sulk?"

Peter through for a moment. Ned was right. He wasn't going to just sulk the rest of the dance; he was going to have fun.

He got on the dance floor and tried to remember how you had taught him to dance.

You and Sam went back on the dance floor and danced until a slow song came on.

Couples started forming, and the floor became less dense. Through a space, you could see a boy in a tux.

He was moving toward you, and now you could see his face. It was Peter.

You both locked eyes for a second. You stared into his eyes until he reached you.

"Y/n, I know it's not the most ideal time, but I want to apologize for—"

You threw your arms around him. He was taken aback at first, but then put his arms around your waist.

"You don't need to apologize Peter, I know you really didn't mean to," you said. "I shouldn't have gotten so mad either..."

He smelled really good; not like his usual smell, but one of a clean cologne.

"Well I'm still sorry," he said as he began to habitually sway to the music.

You swayed with him. You half-expected him to step on your feet, but he didn't.

"Wait!" He pulled away. He wouldn't look you in the eyes.

"What?" You said in a surprised voice.

"Y/n, you know we can't," he said, his eyes finally meeting yours.

"I don't care what he says. One dance, Peter. That's all I want. Please," you begged.

He looked away, then back at you. "One dance?"

"One dance."

He hesitated. "Okay."

You put your arms around his neck and his arms were around your waist. You began to sway to the music like you had done before. It was the best feeling of your life.

He was holding onto you firmly, but not in a suffocating way. You felt so safe in his arms. You weren't thinking of Tyler, of Hydra, not even Sam. You were only focused on him.

"Peter?" You said quietly.

"Yes?" You heard him mumble.

"Is it bad that I might possibly be in love with you?"