Ashes Ashes It All Burned Down

(y/n) POV

When I was five I burnt down my preschool when my semblance manifested. It's not like I meant to do it or anything, it kinda just happened. A few of the other kids were picking on me and no one was going to help me so I tried to defend myself and then things got blurry, after that I blacked out. When I woke up everything was on fire, I was all alone I was terrified. Once again no one was going to save me, no one cared enough to even look for me. Suddenly part of the ceiling caved in above me, my only thoughts at the time were 'Well at least I'll get to see mommy.', but to my surprise a woman with red eyes, long black hair, and a red katana saved me.

When she brought me outside I saw my older sisters hugging our Uncle Qrow as they cried. 'I did this.', 'This is all my fault.', 'I'm a monster.', 'I'm worse than the grimm.' those were the only thoughts I had at that moment, but I was snapped out of my thoughts when one of my classmates punched me in the face. Several other students joined him and began beating me up, while they kicked me they called me a monster. Eventually Uncle Qrow stopped them after hearing them call me a monster. 

Uncle Qrow took us home and explained to Dad what happened, and while he was happy my sisters were safe, he only glared at me and said 'You should have died.', Uncle Qrow got very angry at Dad and ended up taking me away with him.

After that my childhood wasn't exactly normal. I had extensive combat training every day, I learned to control my semblance and that it was more than just fire, I was quite literally a force of nature. I could control fire, water, earth, wind, lightning, ice,and gravity, I decided to call my semblance Elemental. By time I was eight years old I had already made my own weapon.

I tried to model it off of my mother's weapon, but I didn't do very well

After two years of life with Uncle Qrow I began to think of him as my father. Eventually we returned to Patch where he began his job as a teacher.

"Dad I already have a weapon why do I have to make another one?!" I complained, "I know bud it's a pain, but it's a part of the curriculum. Besides Crescent Blaze won't always be able to help you, I'd rather have you be overly armed than unprepared." Dad said, "Fine I guess I can come up with something." I said as he ruffled my hair.

Later that day I was building my new weapon when I felt someone tap on my shoulder, "(y/n) is that you?" A girl asked, "Hi Yang, hows your dad?" I asked as I turned to face my older sister, to my surprise I saw Ruby standing next to her, "Hey (y/n)." Ruby said, suddenly both my sisters hugged me, "(y/n) were so sorry we should have stood up for you especially when Dad said that you should have died in that fire." Yang said, "Yeah yeah I was wrong big deal, I'm allowed to make mistakes every now and then aren't I?" A man said from behind me, "How ya doing kiddo." He said as he ruffled my hair, "Don't touch me Tai." I said angrily, "Whoa where did this come from?" He asked, "How about the years of scorn you gave me for even being born, then telling me that I should have died in a fire didn't help." I said, "Wow the way you talk reminds me of your uncle." He said, "Yeah I decided to be more like my Dad. He's easily the best huntsman ever." I said, "Wait you replaced me!" He said angrily, "And what's worse you replaced me with Qrow!" He said angrily, "Yeah at least he cared about me." I said, "THAT'S IT YOUNG MAN I AM YOUR FATHER AND YOU WILL...!" He shouted, but I cut him off by pointing Crescent Blaze in it's compact mode at his head, "You will what?" I said as I switched my weapon to sword mode, "(y/n) stop!" Dad yelled, "Sorry Dad, I felt threatened so I reacted how you taught me to." I said as I put my weapon away, "Wait what are you talking about?" Tai asked, "I met Raven, she's the woman who saved me that day." I said, before Tai could do anything Dad took him away. 

After a few hours we all finished our weapons. "Hey bro you don yet?" Yang asked, "Yeah just waiting for you two." I said, "Alright let's see yours first then." She said, "YANG NO FAIR YOU SAID I COULD GO FIRST!" Ruby complained, "That's fine I'll go last." I said, "Thanks (y/n)!" Ruby said as she grabbed her scythe, "This is my baby Crescent Rose." She said as she showed off her handy work, "It's also a gun." She said smugly, "So basically it's a less impressive version of my Crescent Blaze and Mom's scythe." I said, "You really couldn't let me have this could ya." She said, "Nope." I said, "Alright you two my turn." Yang said as she showed off her gauntlets, "These baby's are Ember Celica, feel free to be amazed." She said arrogantly, "Ok looks like I'm gonna have to embarrass my big sisters." I said as I grabbed my new weapon.

" I said as I grabbed my new weapon

"This is Decaforce." I said, "Big deal it's a broad sword." Yang said, I smirked and split the blade into two short swords, then into two guns, and finally into a duel bladed staff. "Yang I think he won." Ruby said, "By the way Yang what are you doing here? If I'm right your a third year here right?" I asked, "Yeah well I kinda broke my old weapon, it's not my fault that the sword couldn't handle my semblance." Yang said nonchalantly.

"(Y/N) WAKE UP!" Dad yelled, "I'm up, I'm up!" I said, "Must have been a pretty good dream to sleep through your alarm." He Said, "Yeah you could say that, I was dreaming about my first day at Signal." I said as Dad tossed me some toast, " Hey Dad what's Beacon like?" I asked, he laughed a bit, "Like I'd spoil the surprise." He said, "Ok what's up you love ruining things for me." I said, "Does it have something to do with that girl I fought a few days ago?" I asked, he nodded.

Flashback a few days ago (y/n) POV

I was on my first mission with dad since I was a kid. I was so excited. "Dad this is boring! We've been following this chick for three days now! Where's the action like when I was a kid?!" I complained, "Jeez have you always been this winy?!"  Dad asked, "Wait what's that?" I said as I touched toe ground, "Your doing that thing where you talk to dirt and rocks again aren't you." He said, "No I'm reading subtle vibrations in the earth and redirecting them back to their source, just think of it as a kind of echo location of sorts." I said, "There are three of them, two girls one guy, the guy has something weird going on with his legs and appears to be unarmed." I said, "CRAP!" I said as I sprinted out towards the fight. 

I was almost too late, but I managed to fire off an ice bolt to sever some weird bug grimm thing. I looked over at the woman who had the grimm bug glove thing, but her face was distorted from heat. "Ya know I always thought that there was no such thins a too hot, but you've proved me wrong hot stuff." I flirted, and I swear I saw her smile a bit, suddenly a bunch of weird glyphs appeared, I grabbed the unconscious girl and jumped out of the way.

By time the dust settled and Dad arrived the trio was gone.

End flashback (y/n) POV

"Let me guess I know to much and Ozpin wants to "tie up loose ends"." I said, "No the opposite actually, your gonna learn more about what's really going on." Dad said, "Now hurry up or you'll be late, and don't forget I'm proud of you kid. I mean your only fourteen and already heading off to Beacon." He said as he ruffled my hair, "Yeah well Ruby's gonna be there too and so will Yang so needless to say I don't feel all that special." I said jokingly. "Hey don't sell yourself short kiddo, and you can trust me when I say your mother would be so proud of you." He said, "Dad why don't you talk about Mom much?" I asked, "Because there's still a lot of pain there bud, but the booze helps a bit." He said as he pulled out his flask, "Dad no we talked about this." I said as I ate my breakfast.