Chapter One

A/N I can't even begin to say how excited I am to share something new (I was so excited I rushed through editing the first chapter- oops). I just want people to know that this book really saved me in a time of need. Every time I finish a novel, I worry it's going to be my last, that another story won't just come to me and I'll be lost, and I was honestly about to give up, but then I was rereading The Thing About Glenn Pearson (yes, I read my own books in repeat), and there was just something about Lawson that I liked, and the idea just came to me. I know I said I was leaving Florida with the last book, but I decided to stay for a little longer to solve the final piece of the puzzle.

There was a routine Lawson liked to follow in the mornings, and he was sure he had perfected it to the point that he would never be late to class again. It was a simple list of steps that were easy to follow, and he only did the things that were extremely necessary to assure he could sleep in until exactly fifteen minutes before his class began.

Wake up. Brush teeth in dorm room sink. Put on clothes (hopefully something clean, but it was college and he often didn't have time, or motivation to carry all his laundry to the basement every week). Put on shoes. And, if time permitted, fix hair so it looked like he was actually kind of trying.

All of this took approximately ten minutes, which gave him five to leave the dorm and cross the street to get to the math and science building. On most days- permitted that he didn't forget anything in his room- he got to his class two minutes before the professor even entered.

It took Lawson about a week to learn he needed a routine, and then another to work out the timing and such, but by the second Friday of his college career, he was sure that tardiness was something he'd no longer have to struggle with in his morning classes.

Of course, life wasn't something easily planned, and on the Monday that began his fourth week on campus, he was shaken awake by his roommate rather than greeted by his familiar alarm. Admitably, it was slightly less unpleasant, but that was only due to the fact that Wesley was nearly a hundred times more attractive than his iPhone (though he was a million times harder to shut up).

"Why are you still sleeping?" Was the question Wesley asked of him, hovering over his face. For a moment, Lawson blinked up at Wesley, slowly in a sort of trance because his roommate was hands down the most attractive man on earth- at this point he was mostly used to it, but it was very early in the morning and he wasn't really thinking straight.

Wes looked extremely tired, Lawson noticed, and when he turned his head to the side, he saw that his roommates bed was unslept in.

"Did you just get back?" Lawson asked, sitting up in bed and rubbing his eyes. "I thought you were supposed to be back last night". It was something Lawson typically would have taken note of before going to bed the night before, but he had ended up coming back to the room at an hour so late it was technically early morning, and he hadn't bothered to check Wesley's bed before he fell into his own.

"I was," Wesley agreed, taking a few steps back from Lawson's bed to take a seat on his own. The close proximity of their mattresses was slightly distressing to Lawson, but it couldn't be helped given the small size of their room. "Laney wasn't ready for me to leave yet though, and I don't have class until later, so I stayed the night and woke up early this morning to drive back". Lawson nodded in understanding before turning his face away. He hoped that Wesley took this as a sign that the conversation was over so he could sleep until his alarm went off- which he guessed would be soon given the amount of light filtering in through the sliver of window not covered by the curtains. "Can't say the same for you though".

"Huh?" This was accompanied with a miserable sigh. He tried not be annoyed with Wesley as often as possible- though he was an annoying person in general so it was kind of hard- since overall, he was a good roommate who cleaned up after himself and gave Lawson privacy when he needed it, but sometimes, in moments like this, Lawson was reminded of what it was like to not share a room with someone, and the longing he felt to experience that bliss once more resulted annoyance directed towards Wes. Still, he tried his best not to show it, and chewed his lip as the other boys voice filled the room again.