Chapter Fourteen

It was a bad idea, agreeing to drink everything Reese wanted him too, and it was how Lawson found himself laying on Kye's bed at nine thirty, staring at the ceiling blankly and thinking oh fuck. He could hear the three other boys moving around the room, doing something, and at one point Nathan said, "no, Reese, he needs a little time to recover," but Lawson didn't say anything, only made a vague moaning sound in agreement.

"Alright," Kye grumbled, and then he was tugging on Lawson arm. "Come on. You need to get up or moving or you're going to fall asleep".

"I'm... what's wrong with sleep?" Lawson asked, though he allowed his friend to help him off the bed, and then leaned heavily into him as he adjusted to standing.

"We still have to go to the party, Lawson," Reese reminded, coming up and standing before him. "Can you walk? You're going to need to be able to walk".

Lawson could walk, and he took a step away from Kye. "I'm fine. Just..." he trailed off and Nathan snorted.

"Lightweight".

"Nathan, shut up, he's fine. Lawson, are you ready to go?" Reese asked, reaching out and taking Lawson's hand. "We have to walk there".

"Maybe I should stay back with him for a while and let him sober up," Kye offered. "If anyone sees us outside, it's very clear what's wrong with him".

Lawson narrowed his eyes at Kye. "No," he declared, and the other boys eyebrows raised. "Sean's going to be at the party, so I'm going to be at the party". Reese laughed a little at this, and then tugged on Lawson's hand to get him moving.

"Well, he's got a point. Come on. Let's go. Don't want to keep your precious Sean waiting".

***

For about three minutes, Lawson wandered around on his own, talking to as many different people as he possibly could, but then Kye was there, grabbing his arm and pulling him through the crowd of people towards Reese and Nathan, who were standing in a corner. "You can't just go wander off like that," Kye scowled, and Lawson pouted, but the advice was probably for the best. When he drank, Lawson became overly friendly, and because of that he happened to drink whatever was handed to him by anyone, which wasn't a smart choice at a public party.

Kye was talking to Nathan about something that Lawson couldn't hear, so instead of trying, he moved to stand next to Reese, who smiled up at him. "How are you feeling?" Reese asked, and Lawson attempted to wink at him. "That good, huh?"

"What about you?"

"Well, I've been matching you shot for shot, but it is somehow affecting you a lot more than it's affecting me," Reese claimed, and Lawson hummed, pressing his lips together.

"But you're so much smaller than me," Lawson said, which was something sober Lawson couldn't have said to Reese without being punched in the gut, but apparently Reese was more lenient with drunks. Lawson was about to say something more, when Kye's voice interrupted him.

"That's Sean?" He asked, and Lawson turned to see Nathan and Kye both looking across the room. When Lawson looked in that direction, he didn't see much. "The one right there? With the dark hair and blue eyes?"

"Yep," Nathan confirmed, and the next thing he knew, Kye was grabbing his arm and pulling him across the room, away from Reese, who waved as he watched him go. Lawson willingly followed, but only because Kye had been talking about Sean.

Sure enough, four seconds later, Kye was coming to a stop in front of the boy in question, and Lawson beamed. "You're Sean?" Kye asked, seeming unsure, and Sean, who was looking at Lawson with raised eyebrows, nodded as Lawson explained: