Chapter Twenty-One

"How are you not freaking out right now?" Lawson asked, taking his eyes off of the road for just a second to shoot Sean a look. The other boy shrugged, still seeming unconcerned and Lawson huffed. "Sean. You are meeting my family". Lunch plans had been made for that afternoon, but it didn't seem like it was actually happening until Sean had gotten in his car and he started driving in the direction of home.

"Yes, Lawson, I remember," Sean retorted slowly, laughing when Lawson narrowed his eyes at the upcoming stop sign. There was the clicking noise of Seas seatbelt being undone, and then he was sliding down the seat to get close enough to Lawson to kiss his cheek. "I'm excited to meet them".

"How am I more nervous than you?" Lawson inquired. "I already know them".

Sean laughed again at his, ducking to nuzzle his face into Lawson's neck. They were often doing things like this to one another to show their affection, and Lawson suspected it had something to do with the fact that they still hadn't shared kisses beyond brief pecks.

And the fact that they really liked one another, of course.

"Do you doubt me, Lawson Murphy?" Sean teased, directly into his ear and Lawson snorted before pushing Sean away with his right hand.

"We're going to get in an accident and die if you keep distracting me like that," Lawson claimed, but Sean seemed unconcerned as he moved back into his seat and buckled his seatbelt. "I don't doubt you, I promise. I already know they're going to love you. It's just... what if you don't love them, and what if my mom tells you really embarrassing stories about me when I was younger".

"Oh I hope she does," Sean said immediately and Lawson rolled his eyes, turning his car onto his street. "And don't worry about me liking them. They made you who you are, an I like you. A lot. I don't see there being any problems".

Thankfully, Lawson relaxed, and it was just in time for him to pull into his driveway. "I'm gonna hold you to that," Lawson promised, turning the car off. Sean just looked at the house in front of them for a minute before looking to Lawson.

"You live much closer to campus than I thought you did," Sean claimed, and Lawson shrugged.

"Yeah, but I don't come home that often".

"It's not a bad thing, living close," Sean assured, unbuckling. "Sometimes I wish I lived this close". Lawson's teeth dug into his lower lip at this, and Sean laughed. "Hey. I like it here. I really do. I'm not like... going to transfer or anything".

"Good," Lawson said with a small smile. "I think people here would miss you".

"Anyone in particular?" Sean teased, and Lawson grinned before shooting a look at his house again.

"We should probably go in. By now, moms probably noticed the car in the driveway and Will is trying to talk her out of coming outside to greet us," Lawson explained. "He'll only be able to hold her back for so long".

"I'm intrigued already," Sean claimed before pushing open his car door. Hastily, Lawson unbuckled his seatbelt and climbed out as well.

"Now," Lawson began to advise as they started up the front walkway to the house. "Prepare yourself for screaming children and my mother potentially crying and-"

"Lawson!" He cut off and looked towards the front of his house, where his mother had pulled open the front door and was tearing down the front steps. "I haven't seen you in forever". Her arms came around him, hugging him close and he laughed, wrapping his arms around her as well.

"Mom, I was home like three weeks ago," he reminded. "It's not even the longest we've gone without seeing one another since I left".

"But you haven't been talking to me," she scolded, paging him back to hold him at arm's length and he smiled down at her.