|28| Serein

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Serein

[<Serien>
~~noun: meteorology~~
fine rain falling after
sunset from a sky in which no
clouds are visible.]

Rain pattered against the Uley household, the weather finally didn't contrast the mood of the home. Usually the laughter and joy seeping from the seams of the home fought of the dreary weather but today, today the regret and misery of the Quileute pack reflected the weather. It was like this because today was the day nobody wanted to happen but it had to be.

Today, Rhiannon May Uley has been put to rest.

She received a warriors funeral, at least a Quileute warriors funeral. At dusk, the pack walked down to the ocean and placed Rea into a small, wooden boat. It was nothing extravagant, just drift wood that Sam reconstructed into a vessel.

They sent her out to sea. As they pushed out her boat, Seth, as her imprint, tossed a match onto her, setting his soulmate alight so she may reach the Gods. Rea Uley was no more in this life.

The pack gathered together since her death, making sure Seth was never alone, half to make sure her was cared for but the other part of this was to make sure he didn't do anything stupid or endangering in his grief.

He had lost so much at a young age, it was truly devastating to see him. He no longer told jokes at the most inappropriate times, smiling at nothingness or even looking after himself properly. Seth Clearwater was barely human without Rea May Uley by his side.

But life still goes on, no matter how hard you want it to stop; no matter how loud you scream and cry; no matter how broken you are. You have to move on.

The youngest Clearwater learned that lesson time and time again. He felt it when he saw the photo on his phones lockscreen of her at the treehouse. Rea hadn't noticed that he took the photo but it was Seth's favourite one.

He saw that lesson every time his mind drifted away from the task at hand, wondering if it would ever get better. He wanted to know if it would get any better. He needed to know that it would get better.

Seth Clearwater no longer spent his time locked away in his bedroom, mulling things over and wasting his days away. He was normally at the beach, standing in the spot where he last saw her.

The image of the boat being sucked into flames still plagued his mind. The bright oranges and red flickering upon the sea was a sight not many saw but it was beautiful. Even her could admit that. A funeral worthy of the Princess she was.

He didn't hold it against the Cullen's for Rea's untimely demise, so much so that he used the tragedy to bring new bonds and trust between the vampiric coven and the wolf pack. Although he couldn't say that it was all because of him as the biggest factor of the treaty's renewal was they young half human, half vampire hybrid: Renesmee Rhiannon Carlie Cullen.

She was broken and he fixed her;
now he broke when she
left.