|24| Abandonment issues

Chapter Twenty-four: Abandonment issues

Rea, with all things considered, had has a crappy day.

    Firstly, her alarm had not woken her up, deciding to run out of batteries in the night. The only way she made it to school on time was because her boyfriend and his sister had come to pick her up in Leah's car, thinking she didn't want to walk in the rain. Then she missed lunch as well, loosing two meals that day, because she had a detention for calling Jared a 'Prick' in the corridors. Then she had an after- school detention from her art professor Mr Williamson. Although just seeing him in school made her day miserable.

"Hey nerd." Sam greeted a soaking wet Rea as she slumped through the door at just gone five. Sam had been home alone up until Rea showed up as Emily had been out, prepping for Rea's birthday next week. She will be turning sixteen on the twenty-third and Sam wanted to ensure that her first birthday back in La Push would be the best birthday she has ever had. "Riri, Princess. Why you crying? Come on; come here."

    Rea happily walked into Sam's expecting arms, she always loved spending time with her brother, even if it is small moments like this.

    "I've just had a terrible day, Sammy. Nothings gone right. Fate's just being against me today. That's all."

    "Well..." Sam said, hesitating to let go of her before walking over to the kitchen and heating up the soup Emily left for Rea earlier, "as long as you're alright. Go get changed, it'll be ready in a few minutes."

    Trudging up the stairs, Rea began to strip of her wet coat as she listened to Sam banging around in the kitchen before three harsh knocks on the door silenced the house but Rea couldn't bring herself to care who was there as she blocked out all noise, focusing on finding her camouflage jacket.

    It wasn't until she heard yelling that the young shifter's curiosity peaked and she whipped on the jacket that had been on her door the entire time and began to sneak down the stairs.

    "I deserve to see her!" A voice snapped. She never thought she would have to see this person again, but here they were, in her living room.

    The unwelcome visitor wore a dress way to loose for her, draped over her shoulders carelessly. Her outfit described her personality perfectly: rugged. The yelling guess truly believed that her acrylics nails that had halfway down her real one could hide her flaws, that her friends care about her, that she is a good parent. When in fact, these things she tells herself were all lies. She had built a kingdom of lies around herself and she's the queen.

"Rea, I'm sorry. I tried to make her leave." Sam said, distraught by the woman who had turned to see Rea on the bottom step of the staircase.

"Hello mother."