Chapter 1

"Can I have a venti iced Carmel macchiato, with light ice, and.."

The blonde haired girl stared at the menu, her brow raised slightly while her hand rested on the bottom of her chin. She was truly beautiful, and I only wished I looked like her. Her hair was straightened and long, and it fell perfectly down her back.

My brown hair was currently pulled back into a loose bun. My outfit looked no where near as good as hers, but of course it didn't help that I had the recognizable green apron on over it.

I don't mind working. I don't mind it at all. Starbucks is actually a very nice place to work. It's always packed here but I never really mind. It's New York City. There's nothing I can do about how packed it is. You just learn to live with it.

After the young woman finished placing her order and left, the place was pretty much empty, which was a rare sight. It was around 11 at night, 10:53 to be exact. We close in 7 minutes so it makes sense as to why no one is here.

I begin to wipe down the tables while all the crew stands around helping close shop so we can all leave. There's a small hum of conversation from a few employees, but everyone looks pretty wore out.

Jessica comes over and begins to stack chairs onto the tables. She smiles at me, and walks closer to start up a conversation.

Jessica just started here last week. She's pretty nice, but I over heard some of the customers making fun of her for her chubbiness. I think she's beautiful just the way she is. The jerks who were talking about her are just jealous that she has more curves than they ever will. Jessica was a red head with some of the prettiest curls I have ever seen. Her blue eyes stood out amongst her pale complexion, as well as her freckles.

"Hey Amber, pretty busy day, huh?"

She wipes a bead of sweat off her forehead. I could tell that this job is a little tougher than she thought it would be, but she's managing it quite well.

"Yea, it was crazy. I'm honestly surprised that we actually only had one customer that came in before closing. Normally it's like everyone all shows up at once."

She nods in agreement.

"I know, right? We got pretty lucky tonight. I guess it's the perfect way to end a Friday night. You got any plans for this weekend?"

I stopped for a split second to think. I honestly couldn't remember if I made any plans or not. I've had such a long day that my brain was pretty much fried.

"I don't think so. I honestly don't remember. I'm pretty tired."

"I feel you. I'm ready to go home and go to bed."

"Same."

I finished washing the tables and I swept the floor. By that time I was one of the last ones there, it was just me and my manager, Rick.

After clocking out and telling Rick goodbye, I finally began my trip home. Lucky for me my apartment was only a twenty minute walk from here, so I didn't have to worry about spending money on a cab or gas.

It was a bit chilly, so I pulled my jacket around me. New York was so pretty at night, I don't think I will ever get used to this. The only thing I don't like about New York would have to be the traffic. It really sucks trying to get anywhere and always being stuck in traffic. It also sucks at night when your trying to sleep and all you hear is car alarms and horns honking. My apartment is on the 12th floor of my building, and I can still hear traffic as if I'm on the first floor.

The walk home didn't take long and as soon as I opened up the door to my apartment the smell of something burning filled my nostrils.

The apartment was smokey and smelt horrible. I held my hand up to my nose, trying to limit my smoke inhalation, while running to the kitchen. There stood my best friend with what looked like a pan of burnt food.

"Olivia! What did you do?"

She began to laugh and set down the pan onto the table. She quickly ran over and turned on the ceiling fan in the room. Yea, like that's gonna help.

"I tried to make grilled chicken fajitas, but I accidentally cremated the chicken instead of grilling it."

I just laughed and shook my head. I feel bad to whoever is gonna be her husband. I already know his cause of death.

Food poisoning.

I ran over and opened up the front door, hoping that some of the smoke would drift down the hall and out of the apartment.

I walk back over to her, and see her looking sadly over the pan. I gave her a side hug and she laid her head on my shoulder.

"I tried."

"I know you did." I giggled out.

She hit me on the side jokingly and muttered a "shut up".

We both busted up laughing.

"Pizza?"

"Yes please."

———————————

I ordered the Pizza while Olivia cleaned up. By the time that the pizza had gotten there the smoke was almost gone. It still smelt a little bad in here, but I was becoming immune to it.

We both sat down with our box of pizza and our pjs, flipping on the tv and opening up the Netflix icon. Olivia was scrolling through the shows, and she finally landed on the movie, "To all the boys I've loved before". She looked to me and I nodded, I've already seen the movie, but it's a good one so I don't mind watching it again.

As the movie went on, the slices of pizza slowly disappeared. Olivia fell asleep about halfway through. I picked up the last slice of pizza, finished it off, and turned off the tv. I pulled a blanket over Olivia and turned out the lights before heading to bed.