Chapter 12

I continued to avoid Isaac. Lately hes had a lot of paperwork these past couple of days, so it was rather easy. My strength had doubled since I started training. Today is my first spar. I was nervous, but excited. I looked at my surroundings. It was sunny out, and the warmth warmed my legs. It was nice for fall. It was now August, and my body had a bit of a tan from the past two weeks.

My cheeks were tinted pink with a few freckles here and there from previous sunburns. I made sure to put on extra Aloe yesterday after my workout. I'm gonna try to prevent anymore freckles from forming.

I had been working really hard with Axel lately. Isaac has been busy with pack stuff, so it gave me plenty of time to train in peace without having any distractions.

I was stretching, feeling the tensions in my legs relax. I glanced up from my leg, looking out into the field. The person I was sparring with was doing the same. She seemed angry and I continuously noticed her shooting glares my way.

What was her problem?

I rolled my eyes, and stood up. My hand was fully healed now, only a small scar remains. I noticed an all too familiar smell filling the field and I watched as Isaac moved swiftly over to me.

"Are you ready?" I nodded, watching my opponent get up and walk over to us.

He looked at her, and she bowed. It was crazy watching people's respect toward my mate. It was even more weird that I was his equal. I had received some of the respect that he got, but not a lot. I don't really want people to treat me as such anyway. It all felt too weird.

Axel joined, his usual bright mood lightening up the tension between us. He smiled, and went in to hug me. I hugged back, and noticed Isaac's slight anger when I was released. He gritted his teeth, looking away.

I knew that he was stressed out, and he was as nervous about this spar as much as I was. It didn't help that his wolf was on edge due to me being so distant. Knowing my touch will calm him down, I went over to him and put my hand in his, giving it a light squeeze. Isaac looked slightly shocked, wrapping his fingers around mine, and squeezed back. I went to pull away, but his grip tightened. I decided it was best to leave my hand in his. Axel finished talking to my opponent, and looked over at us. He noticed our hands, and a small smile appeared on his face. "Let's begin."

—-

We stood in the center of the field, a small crowd had formed. Axel was explaining the rules, but I already knew them from the other 26 times he's told me during practices. I watched my opponent as she stood stretching. My wolf went into action once I heard a familiar set of words.

"...Fighters, are you ready?"

We both growled in response, taking our positions.

"On my count. 3... 2.... 1.. GO!"

In an instant, my natural instincts came forward, and I tuned everything out. I focused on her movements. Her eyes darted to my leg, and I knew she was gonna try to take me out from there. To confirm my thoughts, she lept forward and shifted mid jump. Her clothes shredded everywhere, and she snapped at my leg. I had moved it just in time. She stumbled forward, tripping over herself. She got up and growled. I growled back, and took this time to shift.

I've been practicing a lot more lately so I was able to shift in less than five seconds. I heard gasps at my wolf, and I even noticed my opponent stop to admire my wolf. She shook her head, and controlled herself, running at me full force. I ran at her, and jumped just before we could collide.

She stopped herself, but it gave me the time to turn around and tackle her. She tried to roll us over, but I flipped as over again until I was on top, leaning down, I stuck my nose in her neck, and pinned her body down with mine. She continued to struggle, but gave up.