Chapter 14

Did he find me?

The same question raced through my head over and over again through the past couple of days. I've been locked up in Isaac's room, with guards on either side of the entrance.

Isaac still doesn't know what happened, but he knows that whatever my father did must have been pretty severe if it was enough to send me halfway throughout the country. Ever since then, he refuses to let me go out of his new "guards" sight. I feel bad for the guards. They are just wolves who are normally patrolling the border. Issac told them to come watch me, and now they are babysitting me 24/7.

I grabbed the small rubber stress ball that Olivia brought back for me on her little road trip. She just got back last night, but I didn't have a whole lot of time to talk to her. She was exhausted, and it didn't help that Issac has pretty much kept me on bedroom arrest.

I've been bored out of my mind, just tossing the ball up in the air, and catching it. My highest streak without dropping it is 273.

The sun was setting, lighting up the sky. I walked over to the window, opening up the curtains, and staring at the beautiful setting. The sky was a beautiful golden orange. Each ray of sun hitting the trees for the last few moments before disappearing behind the horizon.

A large hand touched my back, and judging by the electric sparks, I knew exactly who it was. It still made me jump, not expecting him to be there. I turned to look at him, his eyes tired. He was wearing a white button down, that was starting to come undone. His hair was a little messy. Overall, he looked exhausted. Last night he didn't even come to bed.

"I didn't hear you come in." I turned my attention back to the window, watching a flock of birds take off in the sky.

Must be nice to be a bird. You have the ability to travel wherever you want, with nothing holding you back.

"You seemed pretty lost in your thoughts." He grabbed a strand of my hair, playing with it with his fingers.

"That's the only thing keeping me entertained."

He sighed, dropping his hands. He walked over to the bed, and plopped down on top of it, staring up at the ceiling. I walked over to him, sitting down next to him.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled before I even realized the words had escaped my lips.

He turned to look at me, a small frown forming on his lips.

"What for?"

"Everything. It's my fault you're so stressed.."

"Stop. Nothing is your fault. I'm fine, really. I've just been a bit more busy with work due to the...stray rogue incident." He seemed to choose his words carefully, as if not wanting to say my father's name.

"But it is. That rogue was here, looking for me. You wouldn't have as much 'work' on your shoulders if it wasn't for me."

I looked down at my fingers, trying to avoid eye contact with Isaac. Though my idea didn't seem to work, as Isaac gently placed his finger under my chin and turned my face to look at him. In his eyes was an emotion my mother used to look at me with a lot when I got injured. It was a look of comfort, one that was sincere and true. Though my mom used it quite often, Isaac's seemed to have a much more powerful impact. One that sent a warmth through my entire body.

"This is not your fault. Please don't ever think that." His voice was quiet, and calm.

I opened my mouth to speak, but I wasn't sure what to say, so I closed it. Isaac's eyes drifted to my lips once again, and a new emotion seemed to fill his features.

His eyes met mine once again, the bags underneath standing out a lot in the current lighting. I reached up, placing my hand on his cheek. I'm normally not this brave, but for some reason I pushed back all the negative thoughts, and allowed the bond to make my movements.

Isaac leaned into my palm laying his hand on top of it, and closing his eyes. We sat like that for awhile, just enjoying each others presence. Eventually, his eyes open. I pulled my hand back, still warm from his touch.

"I should get going. You need to get some sleep." I mumbled, standing up and fixing my clothes.

Isaac sighed standing up as well. We walked to the door, me standing there awkwardly, not sure what I was supposed to say.

"I'll have the guards escort you back. But you know, you're always welcome to stay here."

I smiled slightly, looking down at my feet. I'm just not quite ready for that yet. I assume he took my quietness as his answer, because he reached behind me and began to pull the door open. He then grabbed me and pulled me to him, giving me a hug. I stiffened at first, not expecting the action. He let go before I got the chance to hug back. Isaac instructed  the guards to escort me back to my room, where I will remain until morning.

I smiled at Isaac, before turning and walking down the hall to my room.

———
Authors Note
Hey guys! I'm so sorry for the last chapter, and this chapter to be so short. I just really wanted to put forth a chapter for you.

Anyways, I wanted to make Amber and Isaac get closer this chapter, so I hope you enjoyed their little moment.