Chapter 7

I stayed silent the rest of the trip home. Isaac tried getting more information out of me, but I wouldn't budge. I knew he deserved an explanation, but I couldn't tell him. I was too scared that he would judge me. I didn't want to return to that lifestyle.

As I opened up the door to the apartment, there stood Olivia and her mate making out against the wall. I must have scared them, because they broke their moment and stared at me in shock and embarrassment. I looked away, blushing, and ran towards the couch. I sat down, grabbed the remote, and flipped the tv on. I heard Isaac close the door, and walk towards the couch. He grabbed the remote, and flicked off the switch. He had still been trying to get me to talk about my father, but I wouldn't budge.

"What did your father do to you?" He asked again, irritation evident in his voice.

In his hand sat the remote. Now I know I was acting like a child, but I can't tell him. My past is something I refuse to go back to, or anything that has to do with it. Mate or not, he's practically a stranger to me. I don't let anyone in except for Olivia. I even made a fake story up for when people ask. I normally just say that I live here with my sister because my parents died a few years ago. Nobody really questions it.

I'm also scared that if I tell him, he'll treat me the same way my father did. I know the shooting of my mother was my fault, but I can't let him know that. I'm a criminal. He deserves someone better. Someone more.... innocent.

"Amber won't tell you. She's never told another soul." Olivia chimed in behind us.

He turns to look at her, confusion and annoyance evident on his face. "How do you know then?"

"I was there."

"Tell me." He was trying to use his alpha tone, but Olivia just shook her head. She's been away from her wolf for so long, the alpha command doesn't affect her very much. Isaac threw his hands in his hair and sighed. I could tell that he was frustrated. His phone rang just then, and he took the call and went into the kitchen.

I took the tv remote once again and turned on the tv, but making sure the volume was low enough it wouldn't disturb Isaac's phone call. He came back a few minutes later and stood in front of the tv. I flicked it off, deciding it was pointless to fight with him again. Plus I wouldn't be able to watch anything anyway, his body was in the way of the screen so I couldn't see it. Isaac's face was stern, no emotion showed. He looked intimidating there.

"I'm only gonna say this once, and there's no room for arguing because I'm late for a meeting. You are coming back with me the day after tomorrow to my pack. You have until then to pack everything up and quit your job. I will be here at 10 in the morning, so be ready to go."

I was certain my mouth was hanging open. There was no way in hell I'm going with him. I got ready to argue, but he walked out of the apartment, his beta soon following. I slumped down on the couch, processing what just happened.

Olivia came over and sat down next to me. Her smile was warm and comforting, but I knew what she was about to tell me.

"I know."

She laughed. "You know what?"

"I know that you're gonna tell me that I have to go."

She took my hand in hers and squeezed it gently. Her hand was cold, causing shivers up my spine. "He's your mate. He's not gonna hurt you like your father did."

I swallowed hard, trying to push back the memories. "I killed my mother, Olivia. He's gonna hate me. He just likes me now because he doesn't know the real me yet. Once he does-"

"He'll love you just the same. You need to stop blaming yourself for your mother's death. She was shot by a rogue. You didn't have anything to do with her death."