Chapter 9: In Dreams

Rey did not encounter Ren on the third day of the journey. It was their last evening in the freighter, and they would arrive early morning on the fourth day.

The day was spent planning the logistics of arriving on the planet, details of the landing site, and the locations of city officials. The missions had become dangerous as of late, and deciding emergency rendezvous points in the event of a fast escape was crucial. Retreating for safety often took days, because if they had to escape, Maz' freighter could not risk being singled out and connected to the Rebellion. On one occasion, Finn and Rey camped out in a swampy forest for two nights as patrols swept through the nearby town while Poe remained with the freighter, stasis injection on hand. It took three whole days to get the moldy smell out of their clothes and the slime off their skin.

Rey methodically completed a set of exercises with her staff. She couldn't help feeling powerless without the low thrumming of the lightsaber; her staff was silent and placid in her palm, but hope filled her chest as she remembered there was still a chance to construct a new one with the fractured crystal. She thrust the staff out in front of her, lunging to add power, using that hope to fuel this session.

Poe peeked into the common room, regarded her for a moment, then entered to lean against the wall.

"I've never seen you fight before." He crossed his arms over his chest.

Rey grinned, pleased with herself.

"I'm a bit raw with no formal training, but effective."

"It works to your advantage. Trained melee can be predictable." Poe ran a hand through his hair awkwardly. She noted the gesture.

Rey cut a horizontal arc sharply with her staff, twisting at the last moment in a move that was clearly intended to set an enemy off balance and get within a personal perimeter quickly.

Poe whistled. "You are certainly deadly with a move like that."

Finn appeared at the doorway with his hands on his hips.

"Well Poe, think you can take Rey?" Finn goaded.

Poe laughed affably, shaking his head at Finn. "Nah, I don't fight women unless I have to."

"I do," Finn raised his hand emphatically, "Get it? Phasma was a woman, I fought her, won, told her I was rebel scum..." Finn rambled on.

"We know, Finn" Poe and Rey answered in unison. Poe shot a look at her and winked. Rey heartily laughed, happy to have enjoyable moments with two men she could count on.

Finn feigned dejection and pretended to walk away before he jumped sideways to face them again.

"And then she fell into fire! BOOM!"

"Finn!"

They all burst into giggles as they dispersed toward their quarters, the laughter fading though they each savoured the sound, knowing the next morning held uncertainty. Recruiting was never lighthearted or easy, especially when they could be arrested or executed should anything go awry.

*

It was a peaceful sleep Rey slipped into at first, where the fear of being robbed or harmed did not exist.

She never had easy slumbers on Jakku.

The sleep lasted for a few hours, but at some point in the night, the intensity of dreams began to plague her.

A hot sun was bearing down on the exposed skin of her arms as she ran with bare feet ferociously pounding the sand.