Epilogue

Author's Note: One widely requested epilogue is finally up. I had never planned for one, and I had to be sure the sequel would be properly set up. Thank you for all the encouragement and patience you all grace me with <3.

*

"I have a bad feeling about this."

Rey rubbed her forehead stressfully as she paced in front of the wide viewing window for the medical bay. Finn stood at the corner of the pane, rooted to the spot and fixated on what was going on inside the medical bay.

"Finn, you have nothing to worry about."

He scoffed, and out of the corner of her eye she noticed him shaking his head. "How can you be so sure?"

Rey moved to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with him facing the window.

Inside the medical bay, the taut form of Ben Solo sat on the edge of a bed with his back to the window. Singed holes from the inferno on the ship peppered the back of his shirt, and flesh was discernible. The right arm rested on a rolling table as a medical droid proceeded to take a blood sample for tests. As the procedure was conducted, Ben turned his head and brushed dark waves back from the side of his face. 

"He can't see us can he?" Finn sounded unsure.

Rey noticed Ben's eye watching the window from his peripherals.

"He can," Rey said with a slight grin. "But most people can't. To answer your question, he destroyed most of the high command of the First Order. Not to mention, he also killed the Emperor without any assistance from me."

Without you, I never would have found my way back, Ben's voice hummed in her mind. He was obviously listening to her through the bond.

"Poe ain't happy about this either, Rey. He was cursing under his breath while furiously cleaning BB-8 out in the gardens."

Rey sighed. "Understandable. There's still some logistics we have to work out."

"He may have to go to trial when everything settles."

Her eyebrows raised at the suggestion. "Perhaps. The future can change. The knights have already left to find another purpose, and maybe Ben will find his here."

In the medical unit, the droid was motioning to Ben that his shirt needed to come off in order to fit a vascular pressure device on his upper arm. In one swift motion, the loose shirt came over his head to reveal a back rippling with defined muscles.

Rey's eyebrows shot up at the sight of exposed flesh, and she was sure that a blush covered her cheeks. Basal instincts sent her imagination to wonder what his skin would feel like under her fingers.

Finn cleared his throat loudly, startling Rey out of her thoughts.

"He's a traitor to the First Order" Finn grumbled. "Hopefully it stays that way." Turning away from the window, he began to depart from the room, but not before Rey closed the conversation.

"So were you, once" she said boldly over her shoulder. "And here you still are."

Finn stopped in his tracks, but neither turned to one another. He made a disgruntled sound before the exit whooshed open, and closed behind Finn once he stepped through. Her point was made.

Rey watched for several more minutes as the droid finished its procedures with Ben, who gave silent consent to all of it. Appearing to be almost completely processed, Rey decided to step inside through the staff door.

"Are you here to collect Mr. Solo?" the droids buzzing voice asked as she entered the medical unit.

"I am. I'll be escorting him to designated quarters" Rey replied, avoiding Ben's intense gaze from the bed.