Chapter 12: Cell Block

"Kylo?" a quiet voice asked beside his left ear.

"Hmm." He responded sluggishly, eyes still closed as he lay on his back.

"Look at me" the female voice insisted.

Ren turned his head to the left as he opened his eyes. At first there was only suffocating darkness, but as his eyes adjusted he could see bright eyes peering at him and the outline of cheekbones and lips.

Another dream?

Rey stared back at him, and he immediately became aware of the mere inches separating them. She was laying next to him.

"Why did you kill your father? I know you said you didn't hate him."

The Rey in his dreams was just as serious and business-like as the Rey he knew in the present. He felt easily detached in the darkness; far away from Hux, responsibilities, the war, his self-loathing, and more.

He worked his mouth back and forth before answering. "I thought it was my last opportunity to prove my allegiance to Snoke. However, it was the beginning of my rebellion against him."

Rey's eyes softened with pity before she turned back to looking straight up at the darkness. A thoughtful sigh followed her silence.

Ren took the opportunity to study her profile; her lashes seemed to go on forever, a perfectly sloped nose standing out above defined lips with a sharp and petite chin. The more he looked on, the greater the swell in his chest expanded; a gravitational pull manifested at the same time, as if an inward compass rotated towards her to eventually collide in spirit, or collapse under the pressure. His chest felt a strange tightness.

Her breath noticeably hitched at that moment. Could she feel it too?

Ren looked back up at the darkness above them, realizing he'd been staring too long. It was an odd dream...unless-

"Rey...is this your dream, or mine?"

A sigh fell in the darkness. "I'm not dreaming."

Perplexed, Ren's thoughts processed the circumstances. The bond had progressed from seeing each other in a dream while both asleep, to a conscious individual entering the bond while the other was unconscious.

"You're awake then?" he asked.

"Oh I'm awake alright," she answered sarcastically, "your men have yet to update you on my whereabouts."

Ren hesitated, realizing the knights had found her.

"Unfortunately" there was defeat in her voice,"and now they are bringing me to the First Order to be tried for Snoke's murder. I suppose you neglected to fill them in on the particular detail that I was not alone."

Ren swallowed. He hadn't imagined it would go down like this, that the bond would connect them during her capture. He never anticipated they would have a few personal moments beforehand. Surely, he had thought, he could convince her to see his way once she was here.

It was premature - desperate - when he extended his hand to her.

"Do you ever think about it?" he diverted the topic, "about what happened?"

Rey didn't turn her head to face him. "Yes" she whispered.

The memories of the throne room were basked in the blood red tone of the curtains. Rey's eyes were pleading with him from the position on her knees, as he rotated both lightsabers in the room and ignited one through the core of Snoke's body. First, the euphoria of freedom passed through him as she stood to her feet with the blue blade in her grasp, and then came the sharp thrill of the fight; one that he would not face alone.