Chapter 27: Training

"Dameron" Ren murmured as he straightened his posture just as Poe darted out from between the trees.

Curses.

"Rey!" the dark-haired man exclaimed, seeming out of breath. "We didn't know where you went..." he trailed off when he noticed the peculiar look on Rey's face, her cheeks flushed and harried from the previous moment. Her hands went to her hips as she walked toward the pilot.

Ren was both amused and annoyed. What had come over him that he believed he'd any right to attempt...that? The bond had practically been singing in the moment.

Rey cleared her throat. "We're about to do some training."

Poe glared at Ren as he spoke. "Well, we're all a little on edge after you disappeared on Tatooine. Can I talk to you?"

"Of course, Poe."

"Uh" he glanced at Ren, "privately?"

Rey nodded hesitantly before gesturing to the edge of the clearing.

This shouldn't take too long, Rey's voice floated through his head.

Ren crossed his arms as he watched Rey follow Poe into the nearby trees.

*

"Where the hell have you been?" Poe demanded in a loud whisper as they stepped behind a wide tree trunk with low hanging foliage. "You've been gone almost three days, and you just suddenly show up with the Supreme Leader of the First Order?"

Fists on her hips, Rey leaned forward "Look, I can explain."

"Explain away" he made a gesticulation with his right hand, before crossing his arms.

His attitude irritated her just then, but logic supported that she knew Poe. His loyalty to the Resistance was showing, and she knew he wanted to protect them at all costs. She just wished he would trust her, instead of treating her like she was part of the threat.

"Alright then," she breathed, fully knowing he wouldn't grasp the full story. "The Knights of Ren captured me on Tatooine in Mos Eisley. I was to be taken for trial at the First Order for the murder of Snoke, but Luke Skywalker and the other jedi masters appeared to me on their ship and warned me. The Knights, witnessing the Jedi, then agreed to help me rescue Kylo Ren who was being tortured and held by Armitage Hux, except it's not really the general, but the Sith Lord Palpatine using his body."

Poe had an incredulous look on his face as she paused. "The ghost of Luke?" was all he could stutter. Rey nodded before continuing.

"When I arrived at the First Order...." she trailed off, embarressed at how the next part would sound, "the general gave me some information on the whereabouts of my parents, and then led me to Jakku where I entered the remains of an old Empire vessel underground. It was a trick - a lie - to get me where he wanted me. Kylo came for me with the Knights and rescued me."

Still there was no real reply from the pilot, clearly looking overwhelmed and perhaps feeling out of his league.

"Kylo is no longer the Supreme Leader of the First Order. That's why we are working together to face Palpatine."

"But how do you know he isn't going to just turn on us?" Poe questioned, finding his voice. "All it takes is for us to get rid of Palpatine and then he's back in command of the First Order. We're vulnerable now more than ever."