Chapter 24: Recovery

Author's Note: The most difficult character writing about in this fanfiction for me is Kylo Ren. At first glance it would seem to be easy because there are these things we just love about that character that are easy to pinpoint initially, but with Adam Driver's talented portrayal of Kylo, I almost find it more nerve-wracking. When would he be tender? When exactly does he lose his temper? What sets him off, and what are his true motivations with Rey? Sometimes it takes me longer to write certain chapters with him because I have to ask myself these questions when writing his dialogue. He's so direct, speaking his mind and answering questions in as few words as possible, yet he conveys his emotions in fleeting moments on film. He's a character I truly want to get right every time I am writing his progression in this fan fic.

*

A blood-red sun was setting on the horizon of Jakku, transforming the sky to a gradient of warm yellows, brilliant tangerine, and a thin streak of deep fuchsia blended sleekly among amethyst tones. Varying peaks of the sand dunes broke up the smooth horizon and bits of auburn sunlight peeked between every crevice, and the passive cawing of some nighttime predator was audible in the distance.

When they had finally pulled her up to the mouth of the hole, the open air was crisp and delicious to breathe in after being down under the ground.

The familiar sight of the desert brought more warm, happy feelings to Rey's heart as her head rose above the hole, and the stray pieces of hair that had been undone were caught in the breeze.

"Hey lass," Vurdan's voice was gentle as he and Alwick grabbed hold of her arms, "you're not looking well".

Rey smiled weakly at him as they helped her step out onto the sand, allowing her room to shuffle forward out of the way. She turned to watch Alwick and Tyrus reaching forward into the hatch and Kylo appearing with their assistance, swinging one long leg out followed by the other.

She could barely keep her eyes open, the majority of her energy going to trudging through the soft sand, the toes of her boots dragging with every step. Her hand throbbed and her chest ached miserably. All she wanted was to sleep; after all, it had been a very long day.

I've never been this tired before, her thoughts murmured in her foggy skull as she blinked slowly looking into the distance.

There's a small quarters available on board, Ren's voice answered in her mind.

Annoyed by her loose thoughts being read, Rey slowed her steps up the ramp to see Kylo not far behind with the Knights in tow. They made eye contact and he nodded to her.

She was just about to enter the ship when she was met at the door with the perfectly pleased features of Freen and his piercing yellow eyes.

"Miss Rey," he raised an eyebrow to her, a hint of smile on his lips. "I hope reuniting was...pleasant."

"It was certainly interesting" was all she managed to answer.

Freen's eyebrows drew up in concern. "You're not well. Let's get you out of these wet clothes and into something dry, shall we?"

"Er, a dry blanket will do for now. I just need to lay down and try to sleep."

A flutter of disappointment edged through his perfect features. "Of course, there are some in the room on board, as well as a thermal dehydrator to remove the moisture from your clothes. The door in the left corner is the one you want, as the door on the right is cargo hold."

"Thank you" she yawned as she stumbled past him towards the door where Tyrus stepped in to open it, and closed it behind her once inside.

The room was small and functional, the only lights were above the tiny desk and at the head of the bed. Rey collapsed onto it with heavy limbs, her head pounding with a headache that had slowly been building since Kylo had rescued her. The sheets were by no means soft, but they were dry and warm.