Chapter 13: Ghosts

Author's Note:  @hal.issa_art did this wonderful commission of Vurdan, one of the KOR!

issa_art did this wonderful commission of Vurdan, one of the KOR!

*

Rey lay wide awake, disturbed by Kylo's screams; the echoes had faded as the connection closed an hour prior.

Her heart was still pounding in fear as she imagined all the possible scenarios he was in the midst of. It was certainly a cry of physical pain.

Was he on board the Finalizer still? She wondered.

Replaying the conversation in his dream, she recalled the sensation she experienced when his gaze lingered on her in the dark. Her breath had hitched as a pleasurable swell manifested in her abdomen unexpectedly.

She'd noticed he had a similar breathing pattern change at that same moment.

Did he feel it too?

Rey sighed before allowing herself to fall down the rabbit hole of feelings she had buried months ago. The feelings she had for...Ben.

His face came flooding back to her in the throne room. Brutal honesty was exchanged but still it was something she had come to admire of him. He'd always told her the truth, never plying her with silken words, never asking for anything from her...except for herself.

He'd asked for her.

Eyes brimming with emotion as his hand opened to her, and the word "please" uttered from those full lips of his.

A warmth blossomed in her chest, remembering that version of him. The version that ended his master in order to save her.

Her heart had desperately wanted to take his hand, and accept whatever else came after.

And then there was that vision.

Rey hesitated before she closed her eyes, allowing it to replay in detail.

She clung to him with an iron grip, her heart shattering as the tears poured down her face. Her arms seemed so small thrown around the broad shoulders of the man she knelt with. Wisps of dark hair tickled her cheek as billowing smoke rose up around them both.

Relief poured over her suddenly, and when she pulled back to look at him, Ben Solo's face was wet with tears of his own, staring back at her in amazement and disbelief.

"Rey...you saved me."

She laughed through her tears. "But you saved all of us."

Then his mouth came down on hers; the sensation of his lips against hers stirred longing deep in her belly, and his bare hands came up to cradle her face with tenderness. A kiss of desperation, love, and hope.

A single tear slipped as she faced everything she had put aside in the past months, but her thoughts were interrupted as the ship shook and rumbled, causing her pod to tip back and forth. Her stomach flip-flopped as she realized it was landing.