Chapter 22: Exhale

Author's Note: Writing this chapter was so enthralling - having these two characters finally in the same physical room after twenty-one chapters was pretty damn exciting. For those who have hung on this long, thank you! Building believable feelings between two intense people requires some real groundwork, and I really want them to be "solid" before any kind of a relationship progression. I'd like to be that author who can slam out a chapter every few days, but truthfully I sit and envision each and every action, conversation, battle as it's happening in my story, and I like the visual to be fairly rich. My medical background really benefit this chapter ;)

Enjoy this stunning art created for this chapter by @hal.issa_art on Instagram!

issa_art on Instagram!

*

Ren barrelled down the corridor, gaining speed as it continued to slope, ending in dark entrance to another room. He entered some kind of command bridge, splashing loudly and unexpectedly into water, slowing to a stop as he looked down to see dark water lapping at his calves.

His eyes adjusted to the strip lighting in the room that was full of shifting water. The chamber had similar, recognizable features to Snoke's throne room; a looking glass to watch the outside battles and large port windows, surrounded by steel walls that were dark with little detail, and uniformly designed.

At the centre of the room, partially submerged in water, was a chair that echoed future designs like snoke's throne.

Staring at it long and hard, he suddenly realized there was a hand desperately grasping the arm of the chair, bent at the wrist leading to the water beside it. Ren could make out a petite, pointed nose above the water and the curve of lips as the torso buoyed back and forth in the gentle waves of the water.

"Rey!" he called out as his legs drove him farther into the water, his voice barely controlled as he reigned in his fear. She shrieked only moments ago. That same hovering fear that touched him during the fight against the Praetorian guards of the red throne room of Snoke's ship; the fear for her safety.

Ren halted as the water around Rey's floating form suddenly came to life, two figures rising up out of the darkness, one swimming toward him until it could gain footing on the ground. It stood in the water, basked in the red lighting, the shape of a man in plain clothes. Without hesitation, he unclipped his lightsaber before igniting it. The amber glow illuminated the space between him and the man.

"Release her" he commanded, baring his teeth aggressively.

"Easy there, fella" the man said cautiously as he held a dripping hand up, "we're her parents."

Ren squinted at him in the red lighting to see the details of his face, and turned his head to see the woman. Their faces were familiar, but not quite right. Recounting the vision of them on the ship, he compared them to the flashes of memories, noting that there were similarities but some missing features with the man. The woman hardly looked like the one in his vision; same hair color and length, face shape and brow were correct, but everything else was perhaps a best guess for placement and shape, even her eyes were a different color than the vision.