Chapter 31: Undoing

Author's Note: HANDS DOWN ONE OF MY FAVORITE CHAPTERS TO WRITE SO FAR!!!!! Let me know your thoughts. I'm so ramped up to finish this story now that TROS has been released. I saw it for a second time on Christmas Eve!

More @hal.issa_art created for this fanfiction! I love this one!

issa_art created for this fanfiction! I love this one!

*

The ceiling was a bleak, sterile thing to be staring at, but Ren couldn't get past the feeling of hopelessness he encountered here.

Unsteady ground was beneath both him and Rey, and neither seemed to find their footing in courage when being escorted off the Falcon to the cells. Heaviness was in their bond, and he suspected that it had something to do with how each of them had faced Palpatine alone.

The emperor had been able to get under Rey's skin, baiting her with the deepest desires of her heart and able to lure her to a planet where she'd come in physical contact with the dark side. She'd seen the terrifying visual of what would happen if she allowed herself to be consumed.

Palpatine was stronger both physically and when wielding the force; Ren's wrists displayed the faded scars of the Sith vise that had been constructed to respond only to his own midichlorians. He was powerful, undeniably sharp, and somehow his ability to inject inner doubt gave him the upper hand in each encounter.

The air in the cell suddenly wavered in his sight, warping his vision of the room as the beams of light shining down on the floor glanced off the forms of beings. Ren's soul trembled with the realization that he was about to endure another visitation from beyond the grave.

Driving with his heels slowly, back pressed against the wall, Ren rose to his feet as he waited for something to materialize.

The air continued to warp until a blue aura, starting as a speck, spread and grew, taking the shape of a man. The familiar face of Anakin Skywalker met his gaze, the unmistakable scar running similar to Ren's across his eye.

"Grandfather" Ren whispered, not desiring to draw the attention of anyone outside the cell.

"Do or do not, there is no try..." Anakin said with the hint of a smirk. "Master Yoda would want you to hear that."

"I know what I have to do..." Ren swallowed partway through his answer.

"But you don't know if you have the strength to do it" Anakin finished for him. "We're all here."

With his pronouncement, two more figures appeared beside Anakin, one shorter than the other. Luke and Leia looked on with knowing expressions, their eyes giving him hope with their softness.

Ren's eyes widened as Leia smiled warmly at him, her eyes shining with wet tears threatening to fall.

"Ben, my son" her shoulders rising with joy, "you're alive."