Chapter 29: Within

Author's Note: This is the last calm chapter before we starting heading into the climax of this story. I wrote this chapter on the plane flying from LA after spending two full days in Disneyland; I was absolutely loaded with inspiration after going to Galaxy's Edge and being totally immersed in the land of Star Wars. Seeing Rey and Kylo there was so much fun and reminded me how I love the storytelling of Star Wars!

*

"It's actually kind of pleasant to be on a planet that's not war torn or teeming with bounty hunters."

Rey smiled, turning to look back over her shoulder as she lead the Knights and Ren through the forest in the dusk. Alwick was barely visible as the last one in the party, his short stature disappearing from time to time behind Vurdan's broad form.

"The first time I came here, I had never seen so much green in my entire life" she called out loudly so he could hear her from the back.

Daylight was diminishing more with each passing minute, the sky changing its colors from light violet to a darker blue; the details on the foliage and the ground were being lost, and only silhouettes were discernible for the time being.

"Reminds me of when we were younger," Vurdan quipped, "training at the temple on Yavin 4."

"Don't speak of that place" Tyrus' voice cut through the darkness, "we need not talk of the past."

Vurdan continued despite Tyrus' vehement feelings toward the topic. "The past is part of who we are and we can't change that, Tyrus. Ignoring it just hides the gravity of its impact."

"Talking about it changes nothing, so move on already."

Tyrus' words effectively shut the conversation down. Rey digested their short exchange, finding it interesting how the personalities of the Knights did not completely align with Kylo on the subject of their past.

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

"I'm interested in seeing this ship, the Millenium Falcon. There's quite a legend behind it" Freen's light voice emitted from the middle of their party. No one answered his comment, especially not Ren who walked closely behind Rey in the dark.

Facing your past can't be an easy thing, Rey thought to herself as she tried to focus on her footsteps landing flat with the dirt, unable to see far ahead for tripping hazards. A small moon circling Takodana had been rising slowly with the setting of the sun, and it just barely illuminated the way.

Despite fleeing headlong from his past, it was as if destiny was bringing Ben Solo full circle to address it. Everything he'd ever run from or tried to destroy was now being placed in his path forcibly to be dealt with. First Rey, then his mother, the Resistance, and now his father's ship. Rey could only guess by the silent connection between them that he was dreading it from the moment they left the base.

The unconscious spy had been locked inside the storage closet underground, the panel damaged by BB-8 to malfunction so she could not escape right away. A small bag of rations and water had been tossed in at her limp feet before the door was securely shut. The First Order was too ruthless to come looking for her once all communication was ceased, but it gave Rey solace that she had a fighting chance of survival.

Ren had been silent since leaving Maz's; the only sound he made was the clinking of the buckle on the chest held in the crook of his arm. The chest that once held the lightsaber, among the rest of some personal belongings.

"How much farther?" his deep voice asked from behind her, as if he could hear her thoughts.

"Nearly there" Rey breathed, "it's just over the next hill."