Chapter 18: Sweetheart

The breeze was exhilarating as it whipped Rey's robes about her as she clung to the speeder. The old goggles she raided from the back of Unkar's shop were a bit grimy in the corners, but she didn't care. Flying over the sand between the dunes in the sun brought warm feelings of old happiness, and if the sand didn't get in her mouth she would have opened up a wide smile and perhaps even have laughed. 

This world was her old home; the speeder had given her the feeling she wasn't stuck, but in control of her destiny. It gave her access to the star destroyer graveyard and increased chances of plundering something useful. It was a way for freedom, and food. 

The second speeder was still in her peripheral vision, driven by the general, robed in black and donning a second set of worn goggles. 

"See here," he had said in the shop, pointing to the very edge of the map on Plutt's navigation device "past the destroyers, another ninety-five kilometers, is where it lies."

"That's extremely far out" her brows knit in concern, "we may only have enough fuel to get there. Which is why no one goes out that far."

"Yes, but the wreckage should have an abundance of supplies, including some fuel sources. The information regarding your parents is in the database aboard."

"And what about this...Jedi test?" Rey plied, with crossed arms.

Hux chuckled humourlessly. "Your aspirations are quite driven. It is part of our visit to the ruins."

When she hesitated, he carefully laid a gloved hand on her shoulder. "Rey, you have powerful potential as a Jedi; we will finish what the Skywalker family began. You've already executed justice on part of your past and your future looks promising."

His words were an empty meal to Rey; her ears feasted on the encouragement that came so rare, yet leaving her heart feeling unsatisfied. Was it Plutt's death that still clung to her shame?

Rey stared at him on his speeder as they passed through a clear stretch of sand and she couldn't help but wonder if Hux always had this much knowledge of the Jedi.

*

 "Get the landing gear prepared" Tyrus ordered Vurdan as he re-entered the pilot's area. Reaching forward, he flipped open the comm to the First Order. "Lilith, this is Tyrus. Transmit the map coordinates for the target when you are ready."

A moment passed before Lilith's icy voice came through. "It's been transmitted."

The navigation system pinged twice before he acknowledged reception. He looked over his left shoulder into the common room. "We've arrived" he called out.

Ren rose from his seat and approached the porthole, looking down at the sandy, barren planet of Jakku. "Nima Outpost is where we are landing first despite her information" he said before he even saw the data from Lilith.

Vurdan swiveled his large head towards him from the other chair. "You've been here before?"

"Just once," Ren answered distantly "with my father."

The ship descended through the clear atmosphere, circling the outpost for one pass before touching down in the rough landing zone.

Alwick released the outside door and lowered the ramp, and he moved to put his helmet on before Ren laid a hand on his forearm. "Stay here with the ship" he warned as he looked back at the rest of the knights. "Freen, I'll need your assistance."

Freen simply nodded before donning his helmet, the vertical slit clearly visible as he drew his hood up and moved to follow Ren down the ramp.

Ren felt naked in a public place without his helmet and cloak, knowing his facial features were nowhere near as intimidating. Standing with a Knight of Ren would be beneficial.