Chapter 25: Between

Author's Note: This chapter was super difficult to write without it becoming twice as long as the regular chapters! I wanted to let the rest play out but I'm sticking to releasing one chapter per week right now to keep the story going. Thanks to all the new readers who have discovered this fan fiction recently and all who have continued to vote - this story will definitely be finished in the beginning of December before TROS is released.

*

Dreams intermingled with nightmares as Rey slept alone in the ship's quarters. The grinning faces of Poe Dameron and Finn at the base, Rose Tico laughing beside Rey as they watch the men in training sessions.

The dream became intertwined with nightmares, fleeing Kylo Ren in the forest, assailed relentlessly with blows from his saber. It changed again to being in the presence of General Leia, kind words of affirmation being spoken and a motherly glow surrounding her.

Finally, Rey is the one dressed in black again. The delicious feeling of power travelling down to her fingertips; a limitless energy flowing through her veins, and a strange voice speaking out of the darkness to her, fuelling the fire inside her.

The sound of her own snoring awakened Rey, reverberating loudly against her own face, her mouth and nose buried in the stiff pillow. She took a deep breath and started coughing and hacking, mucus loosening in her chest with every forceful bout of air. It slowed down, finally allowing Rey to catch her breath; she groaned loudly as she rolled onto her side, clutching at her chest, the soreness threefold from the day before.

The water in her lungs had done a number on her.

Refusing to rise just yet, she drew up the gray blanket tightly around her. There was no way to tell the time or day within the small quarters, but she was alone and safe for now, and preferred this moment to last.

Thinking back to before she had fallen asleep, Rey remembered the force bond with Kylo Ren that had curiously opened up again with him not fully dressed.

The look in his eyes as she touched his facial scar still haunted her; the eyes of a man who longed for something more from her. She had never been looked at like that by anyone other than him. A look that conveyed she was something of value to someone, and that someone was him.

Kylo Ren.

The Supreme Leader of The First Order.

She rubbed her forehead hard, squeezing her eyes closed, ever thankful for this moment where she was not in close proximity to him. The longer she lingered in his presence, the less he seemed like Kylo. His resolution continued to flicker the closer they were all through the previous day, and then there was that intense hunger his eyes held as he gazed at her mouth, his offence to her retort fading quickly. The man inside Kylo hungered for her.

Ben Solo.

The son of Princess Leia.

She opened her eyes to see the wall beside the bed, plain steel staring back at her.

When they were together, the feeling of uneasiness crept in. Was she afraid? Was it because he was so intense? So sure of what he wanted that he pursued her relentlessly and spoke so directly?

A number of voices talking outside her door stole her attention and reality set in.

Sighing, Rey sat up from bed, not yet prepared to face another eventful day.