Chapter 15: Chains

Author's Note: Thank you for all the votes and fans who have commented to their appreciation for this fanfiction! One such inspired reader, who is also a stunning artist, has commissioned some artwork to bring extra life to this story! Her instagram handle is @hal.issa_art and she is fantastic.

issa_art and she is fantastic

*

"I think those might be infected."

"I've had worse." Kylo winced, and pointedly turned the scarred side of his face toward her. She pressed her lips together and looked away. "Rey, there's something you need to know..."

"We may not have much time," Rey interjected, "I don't know how long the bond will stay open for me to figure out how to free you."

"I'm sure if I died, it'd be preferable to the Rebellion."

Rey's hands went to her hips. "It's not preferable...now can you tell me what these are?".

"Lower your voice and i'll explain." He sharply spoke in a whisper. Her mouth clamped shut in response, and he could see her annoyance breech the surface.

"This is something else. Snoke devised it specifically for me. If my wrists move, it drives itself deeper."

Rey knelt beside the bench, her hands resting on her thighs with attentive posture as she leaned in close to study the damage. The breath escaping her pursed lips grazed an exposed wrist as she took a closer look; the sensation made him feel light-headed, but that could have easily been the blood loss. The force bond must be stronger when they were in the same place, he wagered.

Rey sat back onto her feet, lost in thought as she touched her chin with her knuckles.

"If it...was made specifically for you," she mused out loud, "then is it possible that it operates on your...you know...those things inside you that make it possible to use the force?"

Ren raised an eyebrow at her.

She shrugged her shoulders in frustration, "In your blood! You've got to know what I'm talking about."

"You mean midichlorians?" he answered, amused at her persistence of knowledge.

"That's it," she snapped her fingers in confirmation, "I couldn't remember what exactly the word was mentioned in the Jedi texts..."

"The Jedi texts? You have them?"

"Possibly" she played it off, "now...is it possible these are linked to your midichlorians, or your force signature?"

"I've never encountered anything like this before. After what I've seen recently though...anything could be possible."

"What if I can throw it off somehow...mask your force signature and make it believe it's not you?" Rey's eyes were overflowing with hope; her ingenuity and resourcefulness piqued.