twelve

We were in the middle of eating dinner. The pasta dish she finally made was delicious.
She continued her story about her breaking her leg when she was 7, "My dad had to carry me all the way back to the house, because the boys wouldn't." She smiled.
I wish I would've gotten the chance to meet her dad. He was such a huge part of her life. I wish I could see the way she smiled when he was here, rather than seeing her smile disappear into a sad face.
"The boys actually were pretty mean when I was growing up. It wasn't until I was in high school that they became the typical protective older brothers.
My phone started ringing.
Anna.
My mind raced with what it could be. I quickly said "Sorry, it's Anna. I have to get this." I stood the button over and answered the call.
"Hello?" I answered.
"Hey, don't worry! I'm just letting you know that instead of going out to a movie, Chance invited us for movie night at his place." She told me.
Chance is perfect and I adore him, but Chance also has a roommate, Kyle, that seems to like Everly a little too much.
"Keep her in your sight. I mean it, Anna. Where you go, she goes. I don't want him near her. I swear to God if he touches her!" I began to raise my voice.
"I got it, B. Do not worry. I have her. You just enjoy the rest of your night! Chance got Trolls just for her." Anna tried to soothe me.
"I don't want to come between you and Chance's night. I can just come get her." I finally offered.
I would much prefer my baby to be with me, than to be in the same room as that man.
"Beth, no. Absolutely not. We planned tonight around Everly. Movie and ice cream." Anna sounded disappointed.
"I really just don't trust Kyle." I admitted.
"Geez Beth, he hasn't even done anything to her." Anna was frustrated.
"I'm going to come get her. Anna, I don't trust him. Something tells me he wants to hurt her." I spoke strongly to her.
"Just trust me!" She raised her voice.
"Trust me. I feel it in my gut that he is not good." I lowered my voice.
It was silent on the other side, then finally she said "I do trust you. Everly is yours and you get to make the calls. Her stuff is together. I'll have her ready for you."
"Thank you." I said softly.
"Be sure to tell Olivia that I did not do this on purpose! I just wanted you to know." Anna sounded sad.
"I'm sorry. I know you didn't have to plan this for Ev, but it's just— there." I said.
"I know." She responded.
"I'll be right there." I spoke.
"See you soon." She said quickly before hanging up the phone.
I slid my phone into my pocket and turned to head back toward the table where I had left Olivia.
"Hey— I'm so sorry, but I need to go get Everly. It's a long story— I'll tell you on the way, but would you mind taking me to get her?" I didn't look her in the eyes.
"Oh— uh, yeah sure. Let me just get my shoes real quick." She nodded, putting down her fork.
"I'm sorry. We could come right back?" I suggested.
"Of course." She smiled with her lips pressed together.
"I really am sorry." I held her arms softly.
"You don't have to be sorry, love. I understand. Plus, I was starting to miss the little booger anyways." She smiled widely.
I matched her smile and leaned in to gently kiss her.
I knew it had to bother her, but I appreciate her not making me feel bad for it.
We got into the car and I started the navigation system in her car as requested.
"So what happened?" She asked, cautiously.
"Anna wanted to take her to her boyfriend's place, which is normally fine, but he has a roommate. I do not trust his roommate with her. He always wants her by him and wants to take her to his room to show her "cool things" that he has. Nothing has happened, but I also haven't let anything happen." I explained.
"It's your instinct. You don't have to feel bad for trusting your gut." She shook her head.
I nodded.
It was quiet, only the soft tune of the song Havana by Camila Cabello played over the radio.
She reached over and set her hand on my leg. I smiled to myself and laid my hand over hers.
My phone buzzed and with my free hand, I grabbed it to look who it was. Anna.
I opened the message and read.
Annie-pie 7:49pm: She is totally your child!!!!!! I can't deal with the Henry attitude!
I laughed then looked at the picture.
Everly looked so cute. She's so beautiful. But that sass— that sass is something fierce!
I smiled at the picture and then said "Look what Anna sent me."
I turned my phone to her and she instantly smiled.
"She is the cutest little girl, I swear! Look at her!!" She cheesed.
I smiled while biting my lip, then let my smile form into a soft smile. I love that she loves Everly. I wouldn't have been able to be with her, which would've totally sucked, because she totally doesn't.
I fell back into my seat and locked my phone.
Her thumb rubbed the back of my fingers as the radio filled the air again.
"So you never told me what you have practice for." I squeezed her hand.
"Oh— uh— I sing in my church's band." She told me.
"No way! That's so cool. I wish I could sing." I responded excitedly.
"You're not— like— turned off by that?" She asked.
"No! Why would I be?" I questioned.
"I haven't ever been able to share that with anyone. My ex was an atheist, which is a deal-breaker for me, but I was so— I was you know— stupid." She retracted her hand from mine.
"You weren't stupid, you just loved her." I shrugged.
I mean I don't want to think about her with someone else, but I know she loved her ex. Her ex had her crying so hard in her office. You don't cry over someone that you don't love and care for.
"I don't." She looked at me as she gripped the wheel harder.
"I know." I softly smiled.
She went quiet and she still looked tense and nervous.
"So you sing good then, huh?" I nudged her.
She smiled widely and shrugged.
"Let me hear." I poked her with my pointer finger knuckle.
"I— you make me nervous." She blushed deeply.
"Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to put you on the spot." I backed off and put my hands in my lap.
"No, Beth. I didn't mean like that. I just mean in general. I get nervous around you, because I want you to like me." She explained.
"Seriously?" I asked.
"What?" She looked at me.
"I like you." I nodded and smiled at her.
She smiled at me.
I grabbed her hand and held it to my lips and lightly kissed her skin before whispering "please."
She smirked at me, took her hand to grab her phone, and scrolled through her music and a song that popped up as Freedom by Jesus Culture.
She sang along to the song and I watched her. She is absolutely perfect.
Her voice continued to fill my ears mixed with the sound of the track in the background.
"So do you get like solos?" I asked.
"Yeah, I'm lead singer for this song this coming Sunday." She answered.
"You have a great voice. Of course you do, because you're perfect." I playfully rolled my eyes.
I felt her hand on my leg again, but this time, she allowed her fingers to tickle my inner thigh, before saying "I think you're the one that's perfect."
My breathing became labored.
I grabbed her hand before it could work me up anymore and intertwined our fingers.
"No fun!" She joked.
I lifted the back of her hand to my lips and lightly kissed it.
We drove like this for the entirety of the ride, which was only about 10 more minutes.
I love when I get to spend time with my baby and Olivia, but I am really starting to like spending time with just Olivia. I don't have to censor anything and can freely talk... or more than talk with Olivia.
As soon as we pulled up to her boyfriend's place, I spotted Everly and Anna on the front porch. Everly was running back and forth from end to end of the length of the porch.
"I'm just gonna go grab her." I nodded at Olivia.
She pressed her lips together and smiled.
I kissed her hand one more time before parting our hands and undoing my seatbelt. I climbed out of the car and Everly saw me. She grew the biggest smile and came running to me.
"You made a good call tonight. He's staying home and was already trying to get her to go play a game in his room." Anna whispered to me as I set Everly down.
"Can I please report him?" I asked her.
"Nothing has happened, Beth. Like nothing physical. I don't know what he's ever told her or what games he wants to play, but I would just keep her away from here." Her head hung a little.
"I'm sorry, Ann." I spoke sincerely.
"When me and Chance get our own place, it'll be okay." She nodded.
I nodded and grabbed Everly's hand.
She kind of hurt my feelings. We've lived together since we were 17. I understand it has to happen eventually, but I wasn't expecting so soon. She's been with me through every single one of Everly's milestones. Every. Single. One. She hasn't missed a moment of Ev's life and she's about to start her own. She's always talked about wanting kids and wanting her baby to be close to mine, since we're practically family. I shook off the thoughts and smiled at her.
"Thank you for not getting mad." I nodded.
"I'm sorry for not trusting you." She responded.
I nodded again and lightly tugged on Everly's arm to get her to walk towards the car that occupied another one of both of our favorite women.