twenty six

I had woken up and went into Anna's room. We laid in her bed, giggling and talking about anything and everything.
It's nice to have her to myself sometimes.
I love that she loves Everly, but sometimes I want my friend too.
"It makes me feel good that she's around now, because I don't have to worry about you or Everly as much. I know she will care for you." She spoke seriously.
"It's just going to be weird. I know it has to happen eventually, but it feels so soon. I mean time really slipped away." I met her tone.
"When we got here, Ev was just barely a few weeks old, now she's four. It's insane." She shook her head.
"I think I'll cry when she turns five." I slightly laughed.
"You and me both." She smiled.
Eventually, we got up and went to the kitchen to start dinner. We settled on chicken and veggie stir fry.
I let her pull the ingredients out as I went to gently wake up Olivia.
I sat next to her and she immediately pulled me to lay down with her.
"Good morning." I smiled.
"How long ago did you leave me?" She asked, her bottom lip poking out.
"Not long. Just went to hang out with Anna for a little bit. You were so cute, I couldn't bring myself to wake you up yet." I spoke.
She pulled me closer to her and rested her head on my chest.
I gently stroked her hairline, then after a while I placed a kiss on her head.
"I gotta help Anna make dinner." I whispered to her.
She groaned in response and tightened her hold on me.
"And get Ev up, she's been sleeping so long." I continued.
She looked up at me and I smiled softly. She is so beautiful. I gently pecked her lips, then went for another quick kiss, but this time she held me into the kiss longer.
I kissed her forehead, then got to my feet and went into the bedroom to wake Ev.
She was sleeping hard still, not even the door opening woke her up.
Something's not right.
I went over to her and placed my hand on her chest.
She felt hot, but I couldn't tell if it's because she is napping so long or because she's getting sick.
I pressed the back of my fingers to her forehead, then decided to get the thermometer.
I slid the monitor over her forehead and waited for the reading.
"One o'three." I gasped and pulled the blankets back from her body.
"Ev, wake up." I gently rubbed her arms.
She started to stir, so I gently rocked her and repeated my words.
Her eyes opened and I gently pulled her from the bed.
"Are you okay?" I asked as I stepped into the bathroom.
She shook her head slightly.
I grabbed her cup from the counter and put a little bit of water in it, then handed it to her.
"No mama." She pushed my hand away.
"You have to drink something." I set it next to her.
"No." She sounded off.
"Okay, it's okay." I told her, mainly speaking to myself.
"I no want water." She started to cry.
"It's okay, baby." I lifted her to me once more.
I felt chills on her skin.
"Frow up." She said quickly.
I set her down in front of the toilet and held her hair. Sure enough, she threw up.
What's happening to her? First the nosebleeds come back, now this.
I got a tissue for her to wipe her mouth, then retrieved a washcloth and got it completely wet with semi-warm, cool water.
I picked her up and carried her and the cloth out of the bathroom.
I walked out to the living room and tried to lay her on the couch next to Olivia, but she grabbed hold of my neck and began to cry again.
"Alright." I gave in and held her.
"She okay?" Olivia asked.
"She's warm." I shrugged.
Everly continued to cry.
"I'm not sure what to do." I admitted and walked to sit next to Olivia.
"She threw up once." I told her.
"She could be coming down with something. It is flu season and she goes to daycare, so it could just be a stomach bug." Olivia spoke softly as she lightly pet Everly's sticky hairline.
"She's definitely got a fever." She said quietly.
"One o'three." I told her.
"Are you going to take her in?" She asked.
"Well, I don't want it to be just a stomach bug and them not be able to help much." I said.
"Evie, wanna try to eat something?" Olivia tried.
Everly shook her head.
"What about a drink?" She offered.
Again, Everly declined.
"I'm going to get her a bucket." I said and tried to get up, leaving her on the couch. She wasn't having it.
She screamed until I sat back down and she crawled back on top of me.
"I'll get it. Where is it?" Olivia stood.
"Bathroom under the sink." I told her.
She nodded and started to walk away.
"Thank you!" I called to her.
Anna walked in from the front door with Chance.
"Hey, squirt." Chance smiled as he saw Everly.
She didn't respond to him. This isn't like her.
She loves Chance.
"Is she okay?" Anna asked.
"No, I don't know. She's hot and threw up." I informed her.
"Do we need to take her to the E.R.?" She asked.
"Possibly." I shrugged.
"Stomach bug is going around campus, so maybe it's that." She offered a suggestion.
"Or that flu is hitting some of the kids of guys at work." Chance told me.
I hope she doesn't have the flu. I've never had it, so it feels wrong for her to have to experience that.
Olivia returned with the bucket and set it by my feet.
"If you feel sick, Evie, just throw up in the bucket okay?" Olivia rubbed Everly's back.
She nodded.
Anna and Chance continued to make dinner, checking on Everly in between.
Olivia stayed right next to me and comforted Everly as we watched the Descendants.
Over the course of the next hour, Everly threw up once more. It has to be a stomach bug, because she threw up only bile.
My heart wrenched. I feel awful for her. I changed her position to lay in my lap, like a baby.
I held her close and let her fall back to sleep. If she's sleeping, she's not throwing up.
Olivia redampened the cloth and I laid it over her forehead.
I grabbed a light blanket and draped it over her.
"I think I should at least call her doctor. To make sure it looks like a stomach bug." I spoke to Olivia.
"That's probably a good idea." She nodded and grabbed my phone for me.
I called her doctor's office and spoke to a nice woman who sat through all of my questions without seeming irritated.
She told me it is consistent with a stomach virus, but if the fever worsens or more symptoms appear, to go ahead and bring her in.
I rubbed the back of my finger along her cheek and smiled. She's so peaceful right now.
I love that she needs her mom for times like these. It makes me sure that I'm the most important person in her life. She loves everyone sure, but her need for me is unmatched.
I smoothed the hair on her head.
Olivia placed a gentle kiss on my shoulder, then rested her chin on me. I leaned my head against hers quickly, then looked back down at my child.
Even sick, she's the most perfect human I've ever seen.
Her full lips puckered open slightly, showing her top row teeth.
I don't think I could ever love another human nearly as much as I love this little girl. She is the reason I breathe.
"Dinner's ready." Anna announced.
"Thank you." I called back to her, covering Everly's ear to be sure to not wake her.
"Here mama, you need to eat." Anna handed me a bowl filled with the delicious smelling dinner.
"Thank you." I accepted the bowl.
Olivia followed Anna into the kitchen to serve herself. They all joined me and Everly in the living room and we put on the new season of American Horror Story.
Once I was finished, Olivia took my bowl from me and walked ours to the kitchen. She returned and cuddled into my side, draping Everly's legs over her own.
My favorite people all in one place. I wish this could happen more often.
They took turns getting the cloth wet again and even replaced the bucket for me.
It's so nice to know that so many people care about my baby.
Once night fell, Chance and Anna retreated into her room and I carefully moved back into my room.
I laid Everly in the bed and went to help Olivia pick up.
I grabbed her hands and spoke to her, "Thank you for helping me with her today."
"Of course." She smiled.
I cupped her face in my hands and kissed her firmly.
She deepened the kiss, holding me to her body. One hand on my back, the other behind my head.
I pulled away and smiled, before transferring the bucket and other miscellaneous things back to the bedroom.
Olivia stayed again. I love how this is becoming our normal. She didn't need an invite to stay here.
She pulled me into her body, her being the big spoon.
I smiled and laid my hand over hers.
"Nice to see you're capable of being the big spoon." I joked.
"Hush up and take it." She whispered.
I laughed quietly.
"I might have to be big spoon more often, because then I can do this." She spoke in a low tone, making my body immediately heat up, before starting to kiss my neck.
I rolled my head in pleasure to allow her to have more skin to work with.
She kissed and sucked on my skin, then let her teeth glide along my shoulder. Then, she just stopped.
"Tease." I playfully slapped her arm.
"I have to keep you wanting more." She said.
I shook my head and grabbed her hand again. I intertwined my fingers with her, but through the back of her hand.
I felt myself drifting into my slumber.
"I love you." She said softly.
I squeezed her hand.
That was the last I remember of the events for the day. I fell into a deep sleep, next to two of my favorite girls.