A dinner with the Waynes

"Let's go." Jason said as he locked the door to his apartment and turned around to the elevators. "They are expecting us in 10 minutes."

After the first rush of excitement left Danny's body, the same feeling of rejection crept back. He was fidgeting by the door looking everywhere just like he did in the cave.

"Come on Danny, they won't rip you apart." Jason joked but he didn't realize what he said. Those simple words reminded him of his father when he threatened his good ghost side to tear him molecule by molecule. Danny felt his eyes fill with tears but he didn't let them fall. He closed his eyes to calm down but the darkness only materialized his memories, making him cry even more. His breathing became shallow and uneven and his heartbeat rose.

When Jason turned around to see if his brother was following him, he found Danny in a near panic attack state. He wanted to know what caused this but he had to calm him down first.

"Danny, Danny! It's me Jason! Focus on me please!" Jason shouted into Danny's face trying to bring him back to the reality. It had no effect and maybe it made it even worse.

"I smell the blood of a petty little coward." The monster living within said, finally waking up from the loss of his consciousness.

"There's no one here..." Danny whispered looking around with frightened eyes.

"Oh, you didn't get it. I meant you."

"No, no, no, no, no, go away." The boy started backing away from the form of Dan that was slowly walking towards him.

"You reside in great disguises, trying to hide your real self." The monster crept closer, now kneeling in front of Danny.

Meanwhile in the reality, Jason was trying to approach the boy but without success. He was now sure that Danny's mind was playing with him, adjusting the reality for him. Jason had suspicion that the being Danny was backing away from was his evil future self. The fear in his eyes gave him out.

"Danny wake up! It's not real!" Jason kept shouting. He had to do something to get him out of his trance before his body won't be able to endure all of the stress.

"No, you're not real. I was here first." Danny whispered yelled as he was pushed to the corner.

"You can't pretend as if I'm not here when I'm standing in bones and flesh right in front of you." Dan chuckled deeply, taking a step forward.

"Danny! Danny!" Faint screams could be heard from all around Danny, making him look around. There was no one, only his evil ghost side in front of him. When he listened closer, those screams came from Dan? Danny closed his eyes and took a deep breath. The whole world silenced for a while and then the voice screaming his name got louder and clearer.

When Danny opened his eyes again, he didn't see Dan in front of him, only his worried brother.

"I'm so, so sorry." Danny sobbed and leaned against Jason's warm chest. At the same time, he felt freezing cold as the person he was leaning against was Dan. Both of those feelings weren't as bad as Danny thought, mainly the cold one.

Yes, he hated Dan for those murders but deep inside, he wanted to have a better relationship like he had with Jason. After all, Dan was somehow his only living family left alive.

"You okay? If you don't want to go, we can stay here." Jason said in a soft voice as he slightly pushed Danny away to stand up.

"No, it's okay. We can go." Danny reassured his brother with confidence that appeared out of nowhere. He grabbed his bag and headed to the elevators.