Intervention

ANGEL'S POV

The next morning was just the same as the last, only without the sore hand.

"Good morning," I mumbled when I entered the dining room, sitting down with a sigh, eyes heavy. Ben and Leo gazed at me sadly.

"Hey, Angel," Ben spoke warily. I propped my head up on my hand, picking at the tablecloth. "So... Leo and I were talking, and we think we should talk to Sage. All of us, together."

"Because that'll go over so well?" I snapped, frowning. Ben and Leo looked down at their bowls sheepishly, and a wave of guilt washed over me. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I didn't mean... I just don't understand what's going on. He won't talk to me, he won't talk to you. I even thought of calling Skylar, but that would just piss him off. I don't know what to do." Pitying eyes were sent my way and Leo had just opened his mouth to speak when Sage walked in. He — to my surprise — pulled out a water bottle and chugged it, quirking an eyebrow when he faced the three of us.

"What is this, an intervention?"

"Should it be?" I challenged. He narrowed his eyes at me and I sighed. "I'm just going to go now. Thanks guys, for talking. I'll see you around." I moved towards the door but Ben stood abruptly, taking my arm gently.

"Stay. I'll keep an eye on him, just please stay." I stared at him.

"Why should I?"

"Because... He loves you." My eyes burned and I shook my head softly. "You know he loves you. We'll figure it out, I promise." I released a shaky breath and nodded slowly.

"Okay." Ben squeezed my shoulder comfortingly and lead me and Leo to the living room.

I stared at the TV blankly as Leo turned on a random eighties movie — Sixteen Candles, I believe — and we sat in silence as it played. Well, Leo and Ben watched. I zoned out for most of the movie, mind on Sage.

I knew my boy. I knew he was a good person, and he very obviously had something taunting him. I just wanted to figure out what it was so I could help him, but I didn't know how.

Hours and a few movies later, Sage appeared in the living room, sober with eyes that made my stomach churn because they were torn between angry and sad. I turned away quickly, unable to hold his gaze.

"Sage—"

"I want talk to my boyfriend, Ben. Can I just do that?" Leo furrowed his eyebrows, standing.

"That is enough. You don't get to just be a dick to everyone for no given reason. Talk to someone. Me, Ben, Carlos, Terry. Better yet, talk to the boyfriend who's been putting up with this bullshit all day, every day for the past two weeks," he fumed before storming out of the room. Ben met my eyes, looking at me as if asking for permission to go to Leo. I nodded softly.

"It's okay. Go." Once he'd gone, I moved my gaze down to my hands. When I finally got myself to look up at Sage, he met my gaze, tears filling his eyes. I sat up quickly. "Sage..."

"I'm sorry, Angel," he whispered, tears wetting his cheeks. I rose to my feet and wrapped my arms around him, squeezing him with all the love I had. He sobbed into my shoulder, and I lead him to the couch, never letting go.

"Talk to me, baby. Tell me what's going on," I spoke gently, wiping his tears away and cupping his cheeks. He dropped his head to my shoulder and I carded my fingers through his hair.

"I'm so scared. Spring break is next week, and when they find out, they're going to kill me. Or hate me. I don't know which is worse," he spoke through a watery throat. I could practically feel his heart breaking and I had never felt so much pain for someone.

"Oh, baby. You're okay. We're okay, Sage." He clutched onto my shirt and I sighed, lifting his head so he'd meet my eyes. "Listen to me. Your parents might not accept it. They might turn their backs on you, but you know what?" He whimpered, and tears threatened to fill my eyes. "If you tell them who you are and they don't love you every bit as much as they do right now, then they don't deserve a son like you. You are..." I shook my head softly, wiping his cheeks again. "...warm. And kind. And good. That has not changed. You're still you. And I will always protect you; I'll be there with you every step of the way. I will keep you safe, Sage." He exhaled in my hands, breaths evening out. I pulled him into my arms and he sniffled softly as I held him close.

"You deserve so much better than me, baby," he whispered against my neck. I frowned. "You don't deserve this, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I sat him up, gripping his jaw gently.

"Hey, you look at me. You are perfect. I wouldn't want anyone else, no one. Nobody but you. Don't you ever forget that." Tears fell from his eyes once more and he slid back into the safety of my arms, letting me hold him as tight as I could.

"I'll kill him," he blurted randomly. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What?"

"Paulie." I shook my head.

"Sage, no—"

"Angel, he touched you. And that's not okay."

"No, I know, I know, but I took care of it the other night. I punched him hard enough for the both of us." He smiled softly and I hadn't seen his eyes light up that way in what felt like forever.

He'd fallen asleep eventually, finally calm and I held him in my arms, relishing in the feeling.

Ben and Leo quietly returned from the back a bit later, looking at me first, then Sage.

"It was—" Ben shook his head.

"We heard," he told me. I sighed softly, relieved that I didn't have to explain.

Sage stirred on my chest, his eyes fluttering open. He looked up at me first, and I smiled softly, my heart fluttering immediately. There's my boy.

He turned to see Ben and Leo, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. Then, he simply stood and approached them silently. I tensed up as he paused in front of them. Suddenly, he pulled them both in for a long hug. I smiled warmly, my heart lifting.

It'd been upsetting how he acted towards me, but to see his friendship being strained with Ben and Leo hurt worse because I knew he was harder on them than me.

He pulled away from them before he spoke. "I'm sorry." He shook his head softly. "I really am. I... I don't deserve you guys. I'll do better, I promise." Ben and Leo exchanged a glance before pulling their friend back in.

"Good to have you back," Leo breathed, alleviated.

"We missed you," Ben added softly, shutting his eyes, relieved probably.

When they pulled away, Sage came back to me, sitting beside me. He looked deep into my eyes, and I held his gaze.

"I will do better," he promised in a whisper. One sentence had my whole body reacting. I pulled our lips together and he held me close. I hadn't even realized I had tears in my eyes until I shut them. He cradled my face in his hands, wiping the tears with his thumbs. I hugged him with a sharp exhale, and he carded his fingers through my hair.

I was overwhelmed with relief. I clutched onto his shirt, not ever wanting to let him go.