Eat

ANGEL'S POV

"Eat," I said frustratedly. Sage shook his head. "Sage, open your mouth, and eat your food." I tried to be firm, but he crossed his arms petulantly, silently refusing. I sighed, dropping the spoon onto his plate.

Ever since we'd gotten back from the hospital a few days before, he refused to take more than two bites of his food — literally. After his second bite, he claimed to be full. I knew in my heart that he was afraid he wouldn't be able to keep it down, but it stung my chest to see him this way.

"Sage, please. I'm begging you." His eyes trailed up to mine and paused for a moment before huffing and sitting up straighter. He picked up the spoon and shoved it into his mouth, swallowing it after chewing a few times.

I smiled softly, but my momentary joy quickly faded when he placed the spoon back onto the table and crossed his arms, smiling sardonically.

"Seriously," I deadpanned. He shrugged stubbornly and I rolled my eyes, taking his plate and rising to my feet.

I trailed into the kitchen and set the plate on the counter, sighing softly. I turned at the sound of padding feet and found Sage behind me, watching me quietly.

"What are you doing now?" He shrugged sheepishly.

"I just wanted to come with you."

"To the kitchen?"

"Yeah... why not?"

"I don't know..." We still weren't back to normal — the atmosphere was tense. I didn't want to talk about the argument we'd had, because I just wanted to focus on him getting better — nothing else mattered to me more than that.

"Can we watch a movie?" He asked then, eyes brightening. I smiled sadly, heart hurting. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just... I need to study for a test." Lie.

"You can study here," he offered, but I shook my head.

"I should really study at my place—"

"Angel, please just do it here," he pleaded softly, eyes large and innocent, hitting me with a pang of adoration. I hesitated but eventually caved.

"Fine. I'll be back in five." I ran to my dorm and grabbed my books, running into Carlos as I did so.

"You going to Sage's?" I nodded. "Is everything good between you two?"

"Kind of... sometimes, it is. Most of the time, no."

"Why?"

"I don't know..."

"I'll let you go," Carlos said understandingly. I nodded and smiled weakly at him, returning to Sage's apartment.

Once inside, I slipped out of my shoes and padded to the living room, finding Sage knocked out on the couch. My heart was suddenly pounding.

I hurried to him, my bag falling to the floor as I began to shake his shoulders.

Damn it, Angel! You should've made him eat more, I scolded myself.

"Sage, baby, wake up." His eyes fluttered open, and he looked around, dazed and confused. I let out a sharp breath of relief.

"What's wrong?" He asked sleepily, scanning my face. I stared at him a while, my hands slipping off of his shoulders.

"Nothing, I just... nothing," I shuffled to the opposite side of the couch, pulling my knees up to my chest as I pulled a textbook out of my backpack.

I could feel Sage watching me for a while before standing slowly, approaching me. I peered up at him.

He pulled my book from my hands, setting them on the coffee table in front of the couch. I frowned.