Nerves

SAGE'S POV

"Do you think he'll say yes?" Ben asked softly, eyes nervous. I laughed and grinned at him.

"Are you kidding? We were literally just talking about you guys getting married." Ben grinned now.

"Really?" I nodded slowly.

"How long have you had this?"

"A month? Maybe? I didn't want to say anything for a little while. I was afraid it would be too soon."

"When we were talking about it earlier, I did think it was too soon. But now that it's really happening..." I trailed off, smiling as I shook my head and pulled Ben in for a hug. "God, you guys are going to be so happy," I gushed, and he laughed into my shoulder, squeezing me a bit.

ANGEL'S POV

"He's taking a long time... oh my God, he really is freaking out, isn't he?" Leo expressed his worries, when Sage suddenly appeared from the hall where the bedrooms were. Leo stood up immediately, and I followed suit. "Well?" Leo asked, his eyes wide. Sage smiled softly.

"He's clueless." Leo let out a deep breath of relief, closing his eyes.

"Oh, thank God," he said, shifting uncomfortably.

"Well... is it true?" Leo gazed up at Sage, confused. "I mean, are you actually ready to marry him?"

"Oh... I mean, yes. Well, I don't know. I know we're going to eventually... you know?" He shrugged, and both Sage and I nodded.

Leo smiled when Ben returned, changed and wearing a smile, ending the conversation. Ben and Leo kissed lovingly, laughing softly as they spoke, and I smiled weakly at the couple, returning to the couch, my body tense. Sage sat beside me and scanned my demeanor.

"You alright?" I smiled uncertainly at him, nodding. He saw right through me. "Liar," he said with a tut, cupping one side of my face. "What is it?"

"I'm just... stressing about a test I have next week. It's a big part of my grade," I admitted, which was only half a lie. Luckily, Sage didn't ask any more, he just nodded.

"I can help you study," he offered, and I smiled genuinely this time.

"Okay."

The truth was, I was a bit uncomfortable with the way Sage had acted about the topic of marriage. I wasn't quite ready to get married yet, either, but I had thought about it happening in the future. It seemed as if Sage was the furthest thing from even considering it; that scared me.

I suddenly had a better understanding of what Leo was so afraid of — if I'd told Sage that marriage was on my mind, it would scare him off — make him think I was moving too fast. I didn't want to weird him out.

Above all else, though, I was scared because I knew that I saw a future with Sage. I just didn't know if he saw one with me.

SAGE'S POV

That night, after Angel had fallen asleep, I wiggled out from beneath him, going to my room. I paced the floor, stressing myself out unintentionally.

I'm ready. Or at least... I'll be ready, soon. I know that much.

I ran a hand down the side of my face, my nerves picking up as I imagined everything happening; it was like a movie playing in my head. It sent shivers down my spine.

I flinched when my bedroom door opened, Angel wandering in. He was rubbing his eyes, wiping the tired away. I smiled warmly at him, sighing in content.

"How do you always know when I'm not there when you're sleeping?" He shrugged, yawning.

"I can't sleep without you," he admitted sheepishly. His words warmed my heart and I tugged him closer to me, enveloping him in my embrace. He hugged me back, but pulled back some to scan my face. "Are you okay? You look like you've got something on your mind." I smiled slowly, kissing the tip of his nose.

"I do. It's you." He quirked an eyebrow.

"All good things, I hope." I pondered that for a moment, humming.

"Mostly good things," I teased. He pushed me playfully, smiling softly.

"Are you coming back out?" I nodded.

"Yeah, I just need to do something really quick, and I'll be right out." He nodded, kissing my cheek before he left the room, returning to the couch.

I stared at the shut door. That was it. That was all I needed to be sure. I was ready. I could do this.

I smiled to myself, thinking of the man I'd fallen in love with. He was everything I'd ever needed and more. He made everything better and he showed me things I didn't know existed. I could never thank him enough for that.

I sighed softly, nodding to myself, deciding this was what I wanted. All I needed to do was decide when.

Although it had been less than a year, it felt like I'd been in love with him for my entire life.

I sat down at my desk, taking one last deep breath.

I opened out the laptop that Ben and Leo had gotten me for my birthday, turning it on and typing my password in. I clicked on the web browser, typing in the automatic search engine:

Engagement Rings