Leaving

ANGEL'S POV

As Sage and I strolled down the sidewalk with Andie, they talked and walked together a few feet in front of me, reminiscing about one thing or the other. In that time, I learned that I had a strong disliking for Andie.

It wasn't because she was Sage's ex — though that certainly didn't help her case — but it was because she was a genuinely annoying person. She was obnoxious and self-centered and completely engrossed in herself.

I was glad Sage was having a good time, but I couldn't help but be a little sad that he wasn't even paying attention to me. Even more so that it was because he was preoccupied with his ex-girlfriend.

When we arrived at the park, I headed straight for the swings and plopped down, pumping my feet.

Sage and Andie were acting like blissful children on the seesaw before Sage looked my way, heading in my direction with Andie close behind.

"Hey," he started softly. I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything, just pumped my legs harder, gazing up at the minimally starred sky, the crescent moon shining proudly.

"Want some?" Andie asked, waving a flask in my face. I leaned away from it with a grimace and shook my head, bringing the swing to a halt.

"I'm not a big drinker." She raised her eyebrows and took a swig.

"Really? I can't believe you're friends with Sage, then. I don't know about him now, but he used to be the biggest partier in town." I glanced at him.

"Oh." Sage's eyes fell and I bit the inside of my cheek, throat tightening just barely.

"You want some, Sagey?" She offered with a wink as she jiggled the liquid in front of him and I met his gaze, eyes flooded with question, as if he was asking for permission.

"It's not up to me," is all I supplied with a shrug. Andie glanced between us before giggling.

"Yeah, it's not like he's your boyfriend." I'd never clamped my teeth down that hard, fearful that they'd crack.

"I think I'll pass, Andie. Thanks." I avoided his prominent gaze and he stood. "I think Angel and I are going to head home. My parents are probably waiting for us."

"Aw, come on, Sagey. Stay." I rolled my eyes, rising and rolling my neck out, sleepy with little energy.

"Sorry, Andie, we have to get back. We'll walk you home." She sighed heavily and we started for the sidewalk. Thankfully, she lived just up the street from the park, so it was a short walk. Once she was inside her house, Sage and I headed back for his house, silence blanketing us.

"I know that was probably really uncomfortable for you. I'm sorry for that." His tone was soft and apologetic and I gnawed on my cheek, unsure of how to respond. He sighed, looking down at his feet and I glanced at him.

"You invited your ex-girlfriend to hang out with us. Then, I had to pretend to be your friend all night. And I get it, Sage, you know I do. But then, you talked to her the entire time, not even taking five seconds to glance back at me, just to let me know you still knew I existed." He paused in his steps, turning to me. "Then, to top it all off, she made a gay joke. So, you know... Uncomfortable would be an understatement." He took a deep breath.

"I know how she can be, Angel. But seeing her was just a thing that felt familiar. I needed a little bit of familiarity today. But I know I put you in an awkward position, and I'm really sorry for that." I stared at him a while, before letting my body relax after being tensed up for so long.

"Fine." He licked his lips and scanned my face.

"Fine?" I shrugged.

"It's fine... Just never do that to me again." He laughed softly, planting a long kiss on my lips before putting a gap between us once again.

"Come on, friend," he joked, and I stuck my tongue out at him, pushing his shoulder lightly.

The rest of the walk back to Sage's house was lighthearted, warm. When we returned, we went straight to the kitchen, laughing at stupid jokes we were making.

We stumbled into the kitchen, grins on our faces, though they quickly dissipated when we caught sight of Sage's dad seated at the table, a grave expression on his face. His mom was stood behind him, biting her nails like a nerve-racked teenager.

"Oh, hey, guys. Sorry, we didn't know you were in here," Sage spoke lightly, smiling warmly at his parents. Mrs. West locked eyes with her son, eyes straining as if she was trying to warn him. When he didn't seem to catch on, she met my gaze and I knew. They knew.

All the happiness I'd felt just moments before had dissolved, replaced with a sick feeling as Mr. West's eyes landed on me.

"Dad?" Sage started, the confusion in his tone breaking my heart. Mr. West rose his hand, silencing Sage immediately. Harper's eyes were flooded with anxiety as Sam slid his phone to the end of the table. Sage, bemused, lifted the phone. All the color in his face drained away as he scanned the screen. I peered over his shoulder, immediately nauseous. On the screen was a picture of Sage and me, lip locked.

"Where-I-Where did you—"

"Mrs. Garrison. She lives up the street from Andie," Harper spoke quietly. My stomach was doing somersaults.

I looked between Mr. West, Mrs. West and Sage, whose face was covered in something I couldn't read — nothing good, I knew that much.

"Mom, I—"

"Don't," Sam snapped. "So, what are you now?" He spat. Sage flinched at his father's words, instinctively gripping my hand. I squeezed his palm, watching the tears form in his eyes, and I felt as if I could feel his heart shattering.

Mr. West's eyes darkened to fury when his gaze trailed down to our hands. He stood, now in front of Sage after two long strides. In one swift motion, his hand swiped across Sage's face, making him cry out. Mrs. West gasped, taking a step closer so she was beside her husband and her son. I tugged Sage closer to me but he moved away, facing his father.

"Dad—"

"No!" He bellowed. I jumped, eyes welling up involuntarily. "No son of mine will be gay." The disgust in his voice appalled me.

I expected Sage to break down, cry, beg, but instead, his eyes fell blank, lashes damp. He stared his father dead in the eyes, gaze impassive.

"Then I guess I'm not your son anymore." Sam's eyes shimmered with confusion and anger and Sage stormed up the steps.

I was frozen in place, staring at nothing, thoughts scattered.

Slowly, I backed away, eyes hardening as I met Sam's gaze. I met Sage at the bottom of the steps and we left without a moment's thought, climbing into my car and driving away.

It had all seemed to happen so quickly, like we'd left as soon as we got there.

Sage cried himself to sleep against the window with a broken heart, and because he was asleep, my attention had suddenly been snatched away by my own anxiety, and the reasoning for that was simple.

I was on my way home.