Buzzkill

ANGEL'S POV

Sage's hand rested against my thigh as we rode to the venue for the party. He traced small patterns on my clothes skin while we drove, my body calm beneath his touch.

Arriving at the venue, we exited the car and headed for the doors, our friends close behind us.

"Ready?" Sage asked beside me. I nodded, smiling, a bit antsy.

When we stepped inside the dim venue, my eyes adjusted to the light and quickly brightened at my surroundings.

A silver chandelier hung in the center of the room, illuminating the space. Four tables were set up around the room, one covered with food, one with drinks, one reserved for presents and the last one had the cake on it. Several other tables littered the room for seating, leaving a huge space open for dancing. One side of the dance floor had a man standing on a stage that I presumed was the DJ Terry and Carlos had told me about.

"You like it?" Carlos asked. I looked up at him incredulously, my eyes sparkling.

"Like it? Oh my God, I love it," I gushed, yanking him in for a hug. Then Terry, Ben, Leo, and lastly — but certainly not least — Sage. I planted a long kiss on his lips before parting with him. His eyes flooded with fondness as he gazed down at me and I grinned.

I was buzzing around, looking at everything, and only ten minutes later, guests were arriving, and soon enough, the venue was full.

I'd made my way to the dance floor, where it was tightly packed, leaving little room to breathe, let alone maneuver.

Nearly an hour into the party, Sage and Leo joined the DJ onstage, speaking in his ear. I watched curiously. Suddenly, my boyfriend had the mic in his hand and was speaking.

"Everyone." He frowned, for no one had their attention on him except for me. "People," he tried again, failing at gaining ears. He sighed, rolling his eyes. "Quiet down!" He snapped into the mic. I'd never heard a room fall silent so quickly.

I bit the inside of my cheek, refraining from laughing.

"Anyway, as all of you hopefully know, it's my boyfriend's birthday tonight," he spoke. Everyone erupted into cheers, the people around me patting me on the shoulder as I smiled sheepishly. "So, my friends — Ben, Leo, Carlos, Terry —and I... well, we decided Angel was too special not to do something big. So we got him something really special. Almost as special as him." I frowned confusedly. Sage motioned for me to join him, so I did as told, pushing my way through the tight crowd and up to the front of the dance floor, where Sage met me halfway, still holding the microphone.

"Everyone make room!" Leo bellowed, no mic in hand. Everyone heard him loud and clear, though — Leo's voice had no limits.

The dance floor was now split in two, half of the crowd on my left, the other half on my right. When Terry joined my side, I scanned her face.

"What's going on?" I asked. She only motioned that her lips were sealed, so I sighed. That's when Ben and Carlos strolled in, reeling in a gift box that was twice the size and height of me, wrapped in silver metallic wrapping, topped off with a black metallic bow. "Holy shit," I marveled, eyes wide.

"Go on, love," Sage whispered, his lips brushing against my neck. I approached the box, glancing at Carlos for confirmation. He nodded, encouraging me to open it.

"How?" I asked, and Ben chuckled.

"You just take this side and pull," he instructed. I nodded, and did as he said. I pulled the side down, and revealed another box. A few chuckles sounded around me and I tutted.