Tommy

SAGE'S POV

The trip to Angel's hometown was the most painful car ride I'd ever been on. I'd fallen asleep shortly after we left my parents' house, yet I woke an hour later. We had a long drive ahead of us — nearly nine hours — and I wasn't sure how well I was going to hold up.

I rested my head against the window without words, ears perking up at the gentle piano flowing through the speakers. I peered over at Angel.

"You okay?" I asked softly and he glanced at me, expression startled before he plastered on the fakest smile I'd ever seen him attempt.

"I'm supposed to be asking you that."

"You only listen to this music when you're anxious," I stated matter-of-factly. He bit his lip gently.

"I just... I'm going home." It was then that I understood that he was going to back to the place he was shunned away from for the first time in years. Thinking about how he was shunned only reminded me of how I was shunned, which devastated me all over again, only with the added fact that Angel had felt the way I did, which made me feel even worse.

My eyes pooled with water as I quickly looked out the window in attempt to hide away. Minutes later, I frowned when Angel pulled into a grocery store parking lot.

"What are we doing here?" I began, but Angel was already getting out of the car. "Ange—" The door shut behind him and he walked around the front of the car to my door, pulling it open. He simply held a hand out to me and lead me to the backseat, sliding in beside me.

As his gentle hand slid through my hair, he spoke a fragile, "Let it out." I shook my head, picked at my nails and stared at my lap.

"I'm okay."

"Sage," he whispered, lifting my face with his fingers carefully. "I'm not going to judge you. I'm not going to turn away from you like they did." Tears flooded my eyes once again and he pulled me into his arms, holding me tightly as I burst into tears.

"It hurts," I sobbed, and he rubbed small circles on my back softly.

"I know it does, love. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

We stayed in that parking lot for the rest of the night, lying there in his backseat until I fell asleep. I woke to him shaking me lightly.

"Baby, come on. We have to get something to eat," he spoke gently. My eyes fluttered open to broad daylight and a gas station.

"How close are we to Tommy's?"

"We only have about two hours left." My eyes widened.

"You drove for that long? You could've woken me—"

"It's alright, babe. I had a lot to think about. And anyway, you looked peaceful, I didn't want to bother you." My eyes lit up and he scanned my face. "You're smiling."

"I just really love you." His eyes were unreadable as he leaned over the center console and pressed a kiss to my lips before gazing at me.

"Really, we need to get some food."

"I don't want to get food," I whined.

"Do you just want me to go—"

"No, no, I'll come with you." With a sigh, I jumped out of Angel's Jeep and yawned, stretching out my legs. I met Angel at the front of the car, connecting our fingers.

We headed inside and grabbed a case of water and some sandwiches and chips before checking out and paying for some gas. After he filled the tank, Angel headed towards the driver's seat, but I pulled him back.

"Let me drive." He paused and I huffed, impatient. "Angel, just because my parents are shit doesn't mean I'm incapable of doing basic tasks," I snapped. He flinched at my words, eyes a little sadder.

"You're right. I'm sorry." He handed me the keys and climbed into the passenger side. When I was in the driver's seat, I opened my mouth to apologize, then closed it right after like a fish. I sighed softly, pulling out of the parking lot and driving down the road. Angel set up the GPS on my phone for me at my request, still silent and deep in thought.

I had reached over to turn the radio on but he stopped me. "No, can you keep it off?" He'd asked.

"Okay..." I hoped he'd further elaborate, but he didn't. Half an hour of uncomfortable silence went by before I broke the tension.

"Angel, I'm sorry I snapped—"

"Please don't apologize. You have every right to be upset. It's horrible how you're feeling." I glanced at him, finding him gazing out the window. I placed my hand on his knee, tracing circles on it.

"I know you're worried about the possibility of seeing them. I'll be by your side the entire time." He nodded slowly, still looking out the window. I felt helpless.

He muttered something then, so quietly that I wasn't sure if he'd actually spoken.

"What?"

"When I came out to my parents... they told me I was nothing. That I didn't matter. If I see them, I don't think—" His voice tightened and he stopped, swallowing the lump in his throat. "Wow, one of us really is always crying."

"We should work on that," I said softly as I took hold of his hand, locking it in with mine. I knew he was going be okay. He was strong.

When we finally reached our destination, Angel and I strolled up to the front door hand in hand, bags left in the car.

After ringing the doorbell and a moment of waiting, the door swung open and Angel grinned.

"Tommy."