Ice Cream & Obnoxious Andie

ANGEL'S POV

Three days later, Sage and I were in his room as he looked around sadly.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm just overwhelmed," he whispered softly, voice nearly inaudible. I nodded. My arms wrapped around him like a safety blanket as I held him to my chest, carding my fingers through his hair gently.

"You're doing so good. I'm so proud of you. You're doing good." He sighed, relieved in my arms instantly.

"You're so good, why are you so good?" He peered at me through watery eyes and I smiled apologetically, pressing my hand to his cheek. "And why is one of us always crying?" I laughed softly and he smiled at me, tilting his head to the side.

"Come on. Let's finish that tour of the town."

Hand in hand, I went to grab my car keys but he tugged me back, spinning me around.

"Let's walk." His soft voice had me entranced as I nodded, tucking my wallet and phone into my pockets. Sage did the same before we headed out and toward the town square in the warm spring air. The distance between us slowly increased as we got closer until we were a few feet apart, like we'd been doing for the past few days.

On day one, Sage had taken me into a bookstore he said I'd like, which he was wrong about. I loved it. Day two, he took me to an antique store. On this day, we planned to get some ice cream and head to a record shop he frequented in high school. As we approached the window, I looked around at the empty lot, lit up only by street lights and the setting sky.

"Hi. Um, can I get a... cookie dough blizzard and a cookies 'n' cream—" Sage's words were caught in his throat when his eyes settled on the girl behind the window, facing us and taking our order. "—bowl," he finished. I quirked an eyebrow. "Andie?" Her eyes flickered up to Sage's before her entire face lit up, a grin taking up half her face. Sage smiled back softly, almost fond.

"Sagey! Oh my God, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here for spring break," he told her. "I didn't know you were back."

"Oh, I'm not. I had told Betsy — do you remember Betsy? Anyway, I told her I was going to be in town for the week so she asked if I wanted to come in once or twice, like old times. She's paying me, too. Real flashback, huh?" Sage nodded slowly. I cleared my throat, Andie's eyes shifting to mine.

"Hi. I'm Angel." She sent a smile my way, flaunting her pearly whites once again.

"I'm Andie. It's nice to meet you." She reached her hand through the window to shake mine and I glanced at Sage's tight expression. As Andie and I's hands slipped apart, she took a breath.

"Well, I'll go get your ice cream." Sage and I retreated to a bench in front of the ice cream parlor as we waited.

"You thinking about your parents again?" I asked softly, glancing at Sage's fingers as he picked at his nails. He shook his head, not meeting my eyes. "Then what's on your mind?" He shrugged. "Sage—"

"Andie's my ex-girlfriend." I frowned as he finally met my gaze.

"Your what?" Instinctively, I shuffled away from him a bit, though we were nearly on opposite sides of the bench already.

"I know it's a little weird but—"

"Yeah, kind of," I deadpanned. He opened his mouth to reply, but I had questions, and I wanted to ask them. "How long were you together?" He clamped his mouth shut, staring into my eyes.

"About a year." I blinked.

"How old were you?" His eyes scuttled away from mine.

"Eighteen to nineteen." My stomach twisted, in this sort of breathtaking way, my eyes slowly scanning my surroundings.

"So you've slept with her," I blurted out before I could register what I was saying. His head quickly turned to mine, expression softened.

"Angel, I'm with you. Don't think about that."

"How can I not think about it when she's right here, in my face?" He looked like a kicked puppy and I felt bad for snapping but I was frustrated and taken off guard.

As Andie approached us with our ice cream, Sage turned to me.

"Angel, please be nice." I glared at him.

"Why would I be mean to her? I barely know the girl." My eyes moved back to the girl with dark brown hair and large brown eyes. Just like mine. My heart sank a little bit further, my mind immediately going to the conclusion of Sage only being with me because he saw her features in me.

Stop it. That's ridiculous, I assured myself.

"Here you are, all set to go," she bubbled, handing us our ice cream. I took it from her as quickly yet gently as possible, having no desire to make any physical contact with her.

I then noticed her apron was gone, and Sage must have, too, because asked a curious, "Are you off?"

"Oh, yeah, you guys were my last customers. I'm done for the night."

"Where are you headed?" He wondered.

"Home. I'll be laying in bed, watching old Disney reruns all night." When I found Sage's expression, I knew exactly where this was going. Don't you dare, Sage, I swear—

"Why don't you come with us?" Fucking hell. My jaw clenched involuntarily.

"Oh, no, I don't want to intrude on your plans." Thank God.

"Trust me, you're not. I was just about to take Angel to the old park." I clicked my tongue at his words, receiving a look that said, 'I dare you.' I raised my eyebrows at him, and he did the same, challenging me.

"Really? I thought you said you were taking me to a record store you used to love going to." He smiled, chuckling softly and scratching the back of his head.

"Did I? You must've heard me wrong." I stared at him blankly.

"Mm. Right."

"You coming, Andie?"

"I'd love to. Let me just get my coat and purse." As soon as she was out of earshot, Sage glared at me.

"Angel," he admonished.

"What? I was nice." His eyes lowered. "You're the one who invited your ex to hang out with us." He pinched the bridge of his nose, exhaling deeply.

"It's called being nice. You might want to try it sometime," he snapped, though regret flashed over his face in a heartbeat. I crossed my arms.

"Wow." He opened his mouth, then closed it when he caught a glimpse of Andie skipping — literally — back out. I frowned.

"Please be nice," Sage begged. "Please," he repeated when I didn't answer. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever." I turned to the girl who was only a few feet away now.

"All set?" Here we go.