Go

ANGEL'S POV

After fifteen minutes of waiting for Sage to return, I slid out of his bed to look for him.

"You shouldn't be here," I heard when I got to the hallway, and I furrowed my eyebrows. As I neared the living room, my heart sank to the pit of my stomach at the sight of my mother at the door. I darted back around the corner, my back glued to the wall.

"It really isn't your decision whether or not Angel gets to see us." I frowned at my father's voice.

"I'm pretty sure he doesn't want anything to do with you. In fact, I'm positive he told you that a few months ago," Sage snapped and I bit my lip, heart pounding.

"Pretty sure isn't good enough for me," Lucinda replied, and I could practically see the grim look on her face. Nothing was ever good enough for her.

I flinched at the sound of her heels clacking on the foyer tile.

"I didn't say you could come in." God, I love this man.

"Angel? It's your mom. Please come and see us, honey." I didn't dare take a breath, let alone answer her.

"Look, if you guys insist on seeing him, let me talk to him."

"And why would he listen to you over us?" I rolled my eyes.

"He trusts me," is all he said. Soft footsteps padded towards the hallway and I feared Sage would try to convince me to talk to them, the knots in my stomach increasing. Just as he stepped into the hallway, I yanked him to the side and held onto his arm. When he met my gaze, his eyes softened and I sighed.

"Angel..."

"What the hell?" I breathed softly, resting my head against his chest. He ran a hand through my hair, taking a breath.

"I'm sorry, love. I-I don't know." The helplessness in his voice broke my heart.

"What do I do?"

"I think they need to hear it from you." No. No fucking way.

"Sage, there is no way I'm speaking to them. I told them I didn't want to ever hear from them again."

"They don't seem to care," he said carefully and tears pricked at my eyes.

"Tell me about it."

"Angel, they'll only leave if you tell them to." Too much, too much, too much. I shook my head, taking off down the hall. I slipped into Ben's room, taking shelter in his closet, though Sage was close behind.

"Angel, come on."

"No!"

"Baby, please." I rested my head against the inside of the closet door and let my eyes flutter shut, my heart hurting.

Finally, I pushed the door open, but instead of agreeing, I went straight back to Sage's room. I climbed onto his bed and lie on my back with him close behind.

He shut the door, his eyes not leaving mine as he climbed above me.

"Angel." I turned away. "Look at me."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because... your stupid, big, green puppy eyes," I said, crossing my arms, feeling like a child. It was quiet for a moment before Sage gently turned my gaze to his. He scanned my face and my eyes trailed down to his lips. I pulled him in for a kiss, wanting to just be there forever.

I huffed as he parted with me. "See what you do to me?" He smiled sadly.

"Come on. I'll be with you, yeah?" I rolled out from beneath him and tugged at my hair.