A House That Isn't a Home

SAGE'S POV

"Sage, are you ready yet?" Angel called from my living room. It was ten A.M. and we'd planned to leave at eight, so Angel was a bit frustrated with me.

"Almost, give me five more minutes," I answered. He mumbled back a loud and slightly annoyed 'okay,' and I collapsed back onto my bed. I buried my face in my hands, exhaling deeply.

This was it. Spring break. I was coming out to my parents this week. I'd told them I wanted to bring a friend home for them to meet, and they agreed with ease, probably because I brought Leo and Ben around a lot when I went home.

We had a plan. We'd go to my parents' place in Pennsylvania during the first week. Then we'd go to Angel's hometown in Indiana to see his friend Tommy. Then, for the last week, Angel, Ben, Leo and I agreed to go to Bora Bora with some of the money we had in our savings accounts.

I sat up slowly, flinching at Leo in the doorway. He smiled softly.

"Sorry... You ready?" I nodded stiffly and he sighed, stepping into the room completely. "Look, I know you. I'm sure you're probably freaking out on the inside, but it's going to be fine. Your parents will be fine," he assured me.

"And if they're not?" I questioned, fiddling with my shirt.

"Well, then they suck." I laughed, and his eyes lit up some.

"Thanks, Leo." He nodded and we said our goodbyes before he returned to Ben's room — basically his room, as well.

Ben entered my room shortly after, wishing me luck and giving me a long hug before saying goodbye.

"Come on Leo, we're going to miss our flight," Ben called down the hall.

"I'm coming, impatient!" Leo snapped, and I shook my head, smiling softly.

I took a deep breath, looking my room over one last time, making sure I had everything before grabbing my suitcase handle and pulling it out into the living room where Angel was waiting patiently for me.

"That was more like ten minutes," is the first thing he said, smiling warmly as he approached me. I pulled him in by his waist, planting a soft kiss on his lips. "All set?" I nodded slowly.

"As I'll ever be." He smiled gently, grabbing his bag and following me out of the apartment. I locked up and we stepped onto the elevator. "Did you say bye to Ben and Leo?" I wondered.

"I did." I nodded softly. "Breathe." He toyed with my hair, easing my nerves just a bit as I sighed. Once outside, we loaded the bags into Angel's trunk before he slid into the driver's seat, me in the passenger. He started up the engine, pulling out of the school parking lot, then off of campus grounds, and our road trip began.

My muscles tightened, and Angel glanced at me, reaching over and linking his fingers with mine, kissing the back of my hand. He rested our intertwined hands on his leg as he drove one-handed.

I fell asleep two hours into the drive and woke to a gas station, Angel filling up the tank. The sky was blue now, almost cloudless, and I stirred in my seat. Climbing out of the car, I yawned and stretched out before moving to the driver's side.

Angel finished up before he got into the passenger seat.

"Ready?" He nodded with a yawn. I started up the engine again, pulling out of the gas station and continuing down the road. Angel fell asleep just minutes later, so it was a fairly quiet drive.

When we finally arrived, the knots in my stomach were so intense that I felt as if I was going to throw up. Angel woke as I put the car in park, blinking a few times before turning to me. I undid my seat belt, not meeting his gaze. I glanced at the clock; it was just after four o'clock.