Prologue

Summer evenings were the best type of evenings. The night was cool; no chilly air or anything. Just a nice evening. People had the same idea as they were out everywhere. They went into stores, bars, restaurants or just a nice walk along the scenic park.

You were currently walking along the park, passing by couples or families. You had just gotten off of work and was now heading home. Recently fresh out of college, you landed a job at a company. You were only four months into the job and you felt happy.

A job. An apartment. A boyfriend. Everything in life felt perfect.

Barking occurred and you glanced at a young boy who threw a tennis ball and a dog fetching it. The dog wagged its tail and happily brought it back to the boy who smiled and petted the dog.

It was a cute moment.

Now you were at the end of the park, waiting at the crosswalk to give the signal to go. "Stop that hybrid!" You heard a voice yell.

You looked to your left to see a man shaking his fist and yelling. Suddenly, you felt a bump and looked down. There was a sort of small dog who just ran into you. In its mouth was a mutilated hot dog. The dog shook its head and looked up at you. Its brown eyes met yours. The dog happily wagged its tail.

"Grab him! He needs to be taken to the shelter!" The man yelled.

The dog understood the man as he let out a muffled bark and ran past you. You just simply watched. The sound of your bed was calling you and you couldn't waste any time. The light for pedestrians changed and now you were walking with the small crowd.

Minutes later after walking, you arrived at your apartment. As you were unlocking the door, you felt something rub against your leg. You looked down to see your downstairs neighbor's cat. A smile appeared on your face as you rubbed the cat's head. She was a sweetheart and fluffy too! "Go on home, Snowball. Your owner is probably worried."

Snowball looked up at you and mewled. She rubbed against your leg once more before trotting away downstairs. Probably, your elder lady neighbor left her window open and that's how Snowball went out. The apartment complex was hybrid friendly and so you saw other hybrids.

Hybrids were a bit odd. They were people who could shift into animals or keep a few of their animal features in their human form. They could be any animal from a small insect to as large as a giraffe. The most popular types of hybrids were cats and dogs. Either way, they were under some ownership and although they did have rights, they needed to be under an owner or get sent to the shelter.

You didn't have any hybrids. You felt that now wasn't the time. First, you needed to make some more money in order to keep yourself afloat and then maybe, just maybe, you would be ready for a hybrid or two. Definitely not more than four.