Chapter 4

"Well, Ms. Philips you had a very amazing interview and you were one of our top candidates but we have found a more capable candidate for the position . We are sorry and we wish you the best of luck on your job search." The woman spoke over the phone. Marie pinched the bridge of her nose and turned around face the wall. This was the eightieth denial this week she wanted to cry but she was at work and she wasn't trying to let these people see her cry.

That was it she was moving but she would plan it after the annual Low Worker's party.

"Thank you," Marie said and hung up the phone. She put her cart back with the others and got on the elevators to go on the fifth floor. Just to wipe the windows down and leave she didn't feel like staying long tonight.

She had walked past him without saying a word. Did she even see him? Why would she want to even look at him after what he had done? He had broken her heart but he still loved her and he couldn't figure out why he couldn't just move on. Xavier and Marie the model couple now two separate people. His mom still asked about her to this day and she still fusses at him for doing what he did.

She looked up from her feet and accidentally made eye contact with Xavier she rolled her eyes and pressed the closed doors but he had run and stop the doors from closing and joining her on the elevator.

"Beautiful, How are you doing today?" Xavier said trying to break the silence. It was how he used to greet her when they were dating.

"Didn't I tell you not to talk to me?" Marie said snapping at him.

"I want you back Marie, and that's never going to change," Xavier said and inched a little closer to her in the elevator.

"Well, that's going to have to change because I don't want you back," Marie said stood closer to the doors.

"We had a good thing, Marie," Xavier said and got behind her. She could feel his breath on the back of her neck. "The feelings we had, and the love we made was amazing. I could have sworn I could have lived off the taste of you."

"If that was really true you would have never cheated." Marie turned to him and said. He was dangerously close to her and his lips were inches away. Then the doors opened on the third floor she got off to take another elevator car up but someone had grabbed her hips and pushed her back on the elevator. Pushing Xavier out the way as well and she felt shocks go through her body once again.

Tanner.

"My Marie," Tanner said and hugged her then started to kiss her neck. Marie almost forgot Xavier was in the elevator. "I miss your presence, why won't you let me take you out?"

"Great, is it the day of annoying ass men?" Marie said and pushed him off. Tanner furrowed his eyebrows and looked to the other side of the elevator.

"Mr. Crest, didn't I tell you to stay away from Marie?"

"Well, Mr. Ayers what I do with Marie is none of your business."

"Why do you insist on disrespecting what's mine?"

"She was never yours, to begin with."

Marie went to the other side while they started to bicker and pressed all the buttons to each floor. She waited till five and she listened to them.

"I can take better care of her than you did," Tanner grabbing her hand and pulling her closer to him. "I should kick your ass for treating my sweet Marie that way."

Xavier grabbed her other hand pulled her towards him.

"I made my mistakes but I believe in second chances," Xavier told him and then looked at Marie who avoided his eyes. "I deserve a second chance Marie, I know at one point of time you had your whole life planned around me. Now, that I've found you I can plan out everything for us."