Chapter 16

Marie felt her phone go off in her pocket. It had to be Villa or her mother. Maybe even both. Marie was laying on her side but Tanner was between her legs still holding on to her. She removed her arm from rubbing his back and reached in her pocket to pick up her phone. Tanner was fast asleep on her chest. She felt tears on her chest still fresh from what could she feel.

She squinted her eyes at her phone and read. It was from Villa.

"Hey, I kn-"

"Why don't you have your location on? Have you made it home?"

"Naw! She ain't made it home, I've been worried sick!" Trudy yelled.

"Mama?! You have us on three-way?" Marie asked.

"I called her to see if you had made it but she had told me you didn't. Where are you?"

"Well,-" Marie suddenly had the phone snatched out of her hand.

"She's safe with me," Tanner spoke in the phone. Marie heard the phone go silent for a couple of seconds.

"I KNOW DAMN WELL...." She heard her mother over the phone start. Then she heard Villa join the yelling. "SOMEONE BETTER EXPLAIN... You know what?! Fuck that! I'm pulling up!" Trudy got out of her bed and started to put her shoes on.

"Give me my phone," Marie held out her hand and he gave it back to her. He immediately got back in the spot he was in. "I got hurt tonight at the store."

"Hurt? Who hurt you?! Was it him?" Villa yelled.

"I would never do that to her," Tanner said calmly but loudly to where they could hear him.

"No, he saved me," Marie said and they both went quiet. "A man assaulted me and he came just in time before my head could get busted open."

"You got a lot of shit to unravel," Villa said.

"Are you okay?" Trudy said.

"I'm okay Mama, I'm laying down," Marie said resting her head back on the pillow behind her. "I was just about to text both you to tell you that I was okay."

"How about you rest and heal up so we can have a discussion," Villa said. "AND TANNER! I know you are listening I'm watching you!"

"Understood Villa," Tanner said. "I'm sorry I caused a scare tonight ladies,"

"Mmhmm, you rest up Baby and I'll come by to see you tomorrow," Trudy said.

"I'm coming with Mama," Villa said

"Okay," Marie said. "You two have a good night."

"You too baby," Trudy said and left the call. There was silence.

"Villa..."

"Mmm?"

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight." Yet, Villa didn't hang up the phone.

"Why haven't you hung up the phone yet?'

"Damn, can't I be noisy for once? I've been needing an update of this love story."

"That's for me to tell now hang up the phone!" Marie said. She heard Villa whine and then the line goes dead.

Tanner watched how her attention shifted from the phone back to him. He didn't know what to say to her.

"How have you been?" Marie said and started running her fingers through his hair.

"Suffering," Tanner said and guided his hand to her face to feel.