Classes

As I remembered the lessons were not as exciting as they were not in my university in Italy but at least here I had the certainty of being able to find some old acquaintances, some friendly faces and not just strangers and here I found them. Incredibly, they seemed to me the same as they were before I left. Always Peter with his blue and black checkered scottish scarf that covered his face to the nose and his washed-out shirts and jackets that made him look like a character of some Sherlock Holmes-style TV series, yet he was a boy of rare perspicacity, photographic memory and strong sarcasm, which is why I liked him.
Then there was Blythe, with her heels at 10 am, but for her it was a comfortable heel, she could go jogging. Lively, eccentric, exuberant, however, always maintaining that degree of respect for herself and common sense to be able to afford that style and take it with class.
I saw someone else sitting and talking to them but I didn't know who he was even though I had observed them while going down the stairs.
"Excuse me... Can I sit there?" I asked tapping on Peter's shoulder as he was a lot taller than me. He immediately turned around and looked at me like he had just seen a ghost.
"What... How can you be here!" He almost shouted.
"Ehm... by plane and then by feet?" I asked joking.
"Oh my God Sylvia! This is more than a surprise! Come sit next to me we have a lot to talk about" Blythe told me.
"So are you coming back? This means our essential group study sessions are coming back too?" Said Peter
"Yes, it is quite a long story I think it's better to talk about it with a coffee and donuts" I said trying to delay the chat.
"Oh my God you remembered!!" Blythe said because it was some sort of ritual for us to get a coffee and a donut before every group study session.
"Of course!" I answered.
"Oh Sylvia and he is Michael! We knew him right after you had left" Peter introduced me to this tall guy with some long blonde air and these penetrating, cold blue eyes.
"I heard about you, nice to meet you in person" he said holding out his hand to shake with mine with a look in his eyes so deep I shivered.
"The pleasure is all mine Michael i am Sylvia" I said shaking his hand.
We all sat and a few minutes later the class started.
Two apparently endless hours actually ended in a time that seemed to be shorter and I stood up to go out the class but the professor added something concerning our department rotation.
Right, I didn't think about department rotations... this ain't gonna make things easier.
Now that we were asked to chose from which department each one of us wanted to start the rotation I consulted Blythe and Peter but we didn't seem to agree a lot about the choice but Micheal unexpectedly said he agreed with me with choosing the most challenging ones first so that we were going to be left more time to study when the exams were about to start so we reached an agreement for which Michael and I would have started from surgery, psychiatry and oncology and went at the table for the submission.
"You know actually I liked the most the ones we chose first, they are the most demanding and stressful but also so intriguing and exciting that fatigue does not scare me, I would be willing to study at night" he said now that Peter and Blythe weren't around.
"I agree. I think they represent the fields for which medicine is really worth studying, because there are so many question left unanswered" I told him.
"So see you at the psycho's" he laughed.
"See you there" I smiled at him and went out to reach the library but first checking Sarah's news. There was something in Michael that made me a little alert and nervous about him...
"Hey! How is it going, the first day of class?" She answered the phone and brought me back to the real world from my thoughts.
"It's not properly a 'first day' you know... but it was good except I am going to start department rotation tomorrow, so this means I'll be left zero time to study for a few weeks..." I said beginning to worry as the speed of my speech increased.
"Hey slow down, you'll be good this is important for you to actually train in the departments so I think it is a good thing and you will surely manage to study and work at the same time, because you're surprisingly strong" she said but I heard her voice was disturbed by other noises.
"Uhm... Are you driving right now?" I asked her
"Yes" she answered "I got your suitcase at your grandma's and I thought it would be great to have something for lunch and then you'll study and I... well I have a few things left to do" she proposed and I slowly changed my way from the library to the exit.
"It seems good, I'm starving actually I hadn't noticed until you said that" i laughed.
"Pick you up then" She said
"No it's good we can meet wherever you are now" I said not wanting to be a burden for her.
"Hurry up!! I'm blocking the traffic out here" and shut the phone up.
I was looking for her until I saw her car and jumped in as fast as I could, I shut the door and the first thing I did was kissing her on the cheeks while she was driving.
"Hey... you're distracting me..." She said softly.
"Okay then I stop" I said departing from her.
"Oh no it was good... I can make an effort and concentrate" she groaned tendering her cheek to me again.
I gave her another long kiss on the cheek to make her happy and then I asked her "What is all this stuff on the back?" I asked her not really understanding why there was such a mess in her car that she always kept clean and organized.
"This is some Holland's stuff I had at my place, I put everything here so that I can deliver it to her whenever she says she can and... also because I don't want to see all this stuff around my house anymore" She said without taking her eyes off the road for a moment, in order not to look into my eyes. This made me understand she was still suffering for her and I hated to see her suffer like that but they had been together for such a long time and so I could understand her pain, she had just come out of a long relationship with a much older woman while now she was with a much younger woman and it seemed almost as if she felt insecure and confused.
"Sarah it is okay if you need time and you want to slow down with me... I'm here by now and I'm not leaving you so you can take all the time you need" I said rubbing her shoulder and smiling at her even though it made me suffer to see her in that state.
"I-I appreciate that Sylvia, you are so mature... maybe even more than I am" she paused to fight back tears "and I feel so stupid right now because I know you're suffering from this too..." she said looking at me in her parking lot.
"Shut up, you are perfect, you're just suffering and I understand this and I want to be next to you to let you know you can count on me for anything but also that I will take a step back if that's what you want" I clarified the situation smiling at her but her eyes looked so sad.
"Ok but we shouldn't be talking about this right know I just want to be with you" she smiled again finally and I felt better just by looking at that damn smile.
"So which department will be the first of your rotation?" She asked placing two little boxes on the table. I could see it was Italian food and it scared me a lot because I loved my food it was part of my culture and I was also good at cooking so I was scared about how that thing would have tasted, but I ignored it and went on eating.
"Psychos" I told her and the image of Michael's eyes when he had said this took over in my mind "what does your inner Lana banana say about that?" I joked to distract myself from the food which was terrible.
"Beware the nuns and do not say you have a girlfriend" she said laughing softly.
"Noted" I winked at her.
"Anyway you know I don't really think they deserve to be treated like that, they just have an altered perception of life and they should be treated like any other people who are suffering, unless they are a danger for other people" I said playing with food in the bowl.
"I know you were joking when you said that you are a really good person Sylvia" she said giving me a fast hug from behind "now I got to go I'll probably be late tonight, we've got a lot of things up with filming so you know... I hope we will see each other these days" she said before kissing me "oh and here is a copy of my keys... I would love if you stayed here a little more of course you can leave them to the concierge if you don't feel like keeping them" she said and kissed me again.
"Thank you Sarah but I really don't feel like we should do it even more so if you said you want to slow down..." I managed to say before she put a finger on my lips.
"Shshsh. I never said that, you said that, I love you, I don't want to... The only way you could make me slow down was if you begged me to do it, in bed" she said blushing for what she herself had said and disappeared behind the door leaving me sitting there with a huge silly smile.

Sorry for the delay in posting and also for the length of the chapter, I know it is very short but again I needed it to better connect the story and make it more fluent, hope you do not mind, I'll be posting the following chapter sooner though 🙈❤️