Stay?

Even though a part of me wanted to go back to New York to say goodbye to my parents knowing that I wouldn't see them again for months, it made me feel like someone was squeezing my heart and I was out of breath. I was a bit homesick even during the first few days in New York, so I spent a lot of time working, and Sarah and I had a fight because I was supposed to work on New Year's Eve, she had said I hadn't even graduated that I was already working like I was a professional, but I understood her, I had been really into work since we had returned and I knew she was upset about New Year's Eve but she was always working too even though she hadn't liked that I had pointed this out and she had left furious not allowing me to explain things clearly. I had tried to call her a thousand times but she would never pick up the phone so I had decided to go looking for her after my shift.
"Are you even listening?" Blythe asked, noticing I wasn't there with my mind.
"Uhm... Yes.. Well no" I stuttered "I'm sorry it's just... I'm happy that you and Peter are together now but I just argued with Sarah in the morning because I'll probably have to work on New Year's Eve and she was really upset" I said drinking my coffee like it was the worst medicine I had ever tasted, and in fact hospital coffee was the worst thing on earth.
"Oh I'm sorry I didn't know you two had problems"
"Actually we didn't, I mean we had a good time back home with my family, but I don't know why this argument really made her freak out." I explained still trying to understand what thoughts crossed Sarah's mind.
"Are you working a lot? Sylvia if it's too much pressure you should tell professor Lowen, she would understand. You don't want to experience a burnout before you even start to work properly, do you?" She asked but despite her preoccupation I didn't want to give up on the job for professor Lowen.
"No I don't want to give up it's just that this few days have been crazily stressful because with the normal rotation and the work for professor Lowen I spent more than 12 hours a day here and of course when I went home no matter if Sarah was there or not I wasn't able to do anything but sleep" I explained her my problem.
"That's what I told you! You're working too much, ask her to slow down a bit with all the amount of work she's putting on you, you're a student not her goddamn servant" She said "Really I'm telling this because I love you, talk to her and then go find Sarah if things don't go back to normal call me, right?" She asked for confirmation.
"Yes" I sighed "maybe you're right I am working too much and I'll talk to professor Lowen to see what she can do also about my ER shift on New Year's Eve..."
"That's my girl, now let's just go out of here" she said opening the door of the hospital's changing room for the trainees but Michael was standing on our way.
"I have really good news for you Sylvia, be ready because you're going to love me forever after this" he chuckled.
"Don't make me wait then" I giggled and Blythe glanced at me.
"I can take your shift on New Year's Eve" he finally said.
"What? No I can't ask you this, this is too much you surely have programs and things to do, I'll do it it's okay..." I said because even though I wanted to I thought this wasn't right.
"I'm offering to do this, you're not asking me" he winked awkwardly.
"Well but how did you know I wanted to change shifts?" I asked.
"Who wants to work on New Year's eve?" He replied vaguely.
"Yeah so why you want to work on New Year's Eve? It is that you just want anything that's hers?" Blythe interrupted.
" I was just trying to do you a favor... Anyway let me know what you decide, my offer's still valid." He said and left the room.
"Ok... I don't really get him, tries to steal your place as professor Lowen's assistant and then offers to work for you on New Year's eve?" Blythe asked me but I was so tired of being always overthinking about people's behavior so I just scrolled my shoulders.
"I don't know, but if he really has no better plans than working i will gladly give him my shift" I responded.
"I haven't really trusted him a lot lately so I don't know, surely this will solve your problem with Sarah though." She seemed concerned.
"Exactly, so I'll tell him tomorrow, I need to talk to Sarah before" I said and we finally were out of the hospital, there was Peter waiting for her, I greeted them both and parted from them soon to go back inside to find my teacher.
The discussion hadn't really went the way I thought it would go, at the end she wasn't eager to give me a few days free even though I told her about my health issues but she said she would do something to speed up the results of the various exams I had done. But this was like a personal favor because she wasn't supposed to do it so i really couldn't ask her more and I decided to accept my destiny of working on New Year's Eve and not being able to do anything.
I hurried in the ward's hallway trying not to cross path with Michael again and rushed to Sarah's apartment hoping she was there.
"Sarah?" I called her name and waited for an answer.
"In the bedroom" she finally said.
Thank God.
"Are you okay?" I asked her because she was just lying in bed in complete darkness and her phone was off.
"Yeah... late night filming always give me terrible headaches" she said trying to sit up on the bed. I sat on the other side of the bed but she pulled me between her arms.
"I'm sorry Sylvia, I really pushed it too far, you didn't deserve the things i said even more because i was focused on starting my career too when i was your age. So please forgive me, i love you and i can take everything that comes even if you're working on new year's eve that's okay we'll find a way to be together." She apologized hugging me tightly.
"I have to say I didn't expect this, you were really angry when we talked about it, actually I was talking and you were just yelling at me. I don't want to argue with you like that anymore, I'll do my best to be with you as much as I can as I already do" I told her and kissed her forehead.
"I know I'm sorry" she whispered.
"So... are you hungry?" I asked her.
"Uhm... what do you think?" She joked.
"Yeah okay I'm gonna try to put something together for dinner but you stay here and just rest okay?"
"No I'm going to help you, I'm fine" she said but it was clear from her voice that she was not really okay.
"No way, you're dangerous in the kitchen when you're really feeling good I don't want to think about what could happen in this situation" I mocked her.
"Hey... I'm not that bad..." she said looking angry but she knew this was the truth "Anyway I'm not gonna argue anymore about a dinner in bed, go do your magic and come back to me" She said placing her plump lips on mine and I didn't want to leave that moment but I had to.
"I'll be right back" I said and disappeared in the kitchen.
She hadn't much but anyway I arranged something decent and took her dinner on a tray but when I got into the room she was sound asleep. I didn't want to wake her up because she looked so peaceful but she hadn't eaten anything probably the whole day so I just put the tray on the bed and gave her a kiss on her forehead "Sarah... Honey, do you wanna eat?" I asked as she woke up
"Yes babe I'm sorry I fell asleep" she said yawning but there was something that really wasn't okay with her.
"Honey please come here a minute" I said cupping her face to keep her still and placing my lips on her forehead.
"You're hot..." I said.
"Yeah honey but it's not the right moment, you're hot too though" she said biting her lip.
"No Sarah, I didn't mean... ugh... I mean you're burning" I said going to the bathroom "here, take the temperature" I said handing her a thermometer.
"Yeah.. Ok" she said and after a few minutes the thermometer beeped.
"What? Ugh... guess that's why I was feeling so sick" She said covering herself with the sheets.
"Let me see" I told her and she handed me the thermometer "Uh, did you just film naked out in the street or...?" I joked but then looked at her and she was really feeling terrible so I sat next to her.
"Baby try to eat and I'll get you something for this bad temperature" I said rubbing her hand "and when it gets so high you should try to be less covered as possible" I explained and she instantly grabbed the sheets.
"You're not going to do this..." she said seriously.
"C'mon just get some clothes off... and don't say anything dirty please" I blushed for the things I myself had said.
"You can choose if you want" she said smirking.
"Do you really get so dirty when you have a temperature?" I asked her.
"I am always this kind of dirty" she blinked.
"Oh my God" I laugh "okay, sweatshirt and... socks, take 'em off"
"Uuh socks, is this some kind of fetish?" She laughed at me.
"Oh shut up you're going to thank me tomorrow" I said putting her things back in her wardrobe "now eat something please"
I went down to the kitchen to get her a glass of water and a pill to lower the temperature.
"Did you eat?" I asked getting in.
"Yeah half of it because I really didn't feel like eating the other half, I know it's strange to hear it from me" she said.
"It's okay, half is enough baby" I said handing her the glass and the pill "just take this and you can go back to sleep, honey" I said observing her.
"Will you stay or go home?" She asked
"I had planned to go home actually since you were mad at me" I told her.
"Yeah but I'm not mad anymore, will you please stay?"
"Of course I'll stay if you want me to" I said sitting next to her.
"Yes but you haven't eaten" she said.
"I have... while I was cooking for you" I laughed "sorry I was too hungry"
She smiled and pulled me next to her, I held her tightly in my arms and she turned her tv on.
"Are you tired?"
"Yeah... I haven't rested for more than 30 seconds today... I have so many things to do sometimes it's really hard to do everything right" I sincerely told her.
"I know honey, don't think about it now, you were born for this and you will be an excellent doctor, just keep strong"
"I hope you're right" I said kissing her.
Those first moments of relax of the day slowly drifted me off to sleep.

Guuuuyyys! I'm back and sorry for making you wait so much but unfortunately a few days ago my phone abandoned me so I couldn't post anything at all. I have somehow managed to take back the few chapters I had wrote but not posted yet thanks to my paranoia of loosing datas which makes me do hundreds of backups 😂.
Chapters will take a little longer to be posted until I get my phone back or buy another... In the meanwhile, hope you liked this one!🥰