We should go tell her

"Baby girl I'm here" I said peeping through the door of Vanessa's room keeping Sarah behind so that she couldn't see her.
"I see" she said staring at me staying in the door frame.
"I brought you something, wanna know what?"  I joked but I just wanted to make her see Sarah.
Her eyes lit and she mouthed "NO WAY" making me burst into laughter.
"You're too smart kid" I said sliding in the room revealing Sarah behind the wall.
"Oh I knew that, I.... I knew!" She yelled maybe a little bit too loud so I closed the door behind Sarah's back, she was laughing too and looked pretty happy apart from being slightly embarrassed.
"So you're not mad at me?" She asked.
I looked at Vanessa but trying to communicate that every answer was okay though I knew she wasn't mad.
"No I've been rooting for you! She didn't even want to come to that thing, I had to convince her" she said and Sarah slowly turned around to look at me with a fake glare.
"Ops..." I said giving her puppy eyes.
"It's good to finally see you two together without either of you risking her life" Vanessa said and those words made my heart melt, she really cared about us the way we cared about her. I was about to say something but Sarah surprisingly beat me "by the way I have to say I'm sorry, I let you play the part of the adult with me when Sylvia was in danger but you're just a kid, you deserve to be just a kid as long as you can and we... I should never again lose my mind as I did last night. We want to protect you, we want to love you...." Sarah looked at me motioning for me to continue so I took a deep breath.
"We would like to ask you if you would like that, live with us, getting to know us and we will get to know you, I know that you must be scared because when I first met you I remember very well you believed your parents were going to rescue you at some point but we've talked about it recently and I saw you had changed your mind so what we want to know is.. would you like for us to adopt you, take care of you, you'll leave with us and have as much love as we're able to give you?"
All the time I spoke she had teary eyes, when I finally stopped talking she tried to talk but all that came out was a giant sob but while I approached the bed to hug her she vigorously nodded. I hugged her tightly stroking her hair trying to comfort her. Sarah came too and hugged us both, she was looking at me waiting for Vanessa to do something to show her presence in the hug was ok and she finally breathed out when she put one of her tiny arms around her waist including her in the hug.
                                   ****
After more than 6 months of dealing with the social workers we had taken big steps almost all at a time. We finally agreed that I should move to her place which was bigger and mostly important not property of the university and we were transforming the guest room into a room for Vanessa with a big king sized bed and everything a kid could possibly need. Friends and family had been really supportive even though none of them had known Vanessa yet because we hadn't been accepted yet so it wasn't legal to introduce other people to her but they all had sent gifts, toys or school equipment. My parents had supported this decision from the beginning and they had sent us the most beautiful backpack for when she was going to be ready to return to school. Vanessa had finally had her bone marrow transplant and she was quickly getting better, she was a strong kid. I had graduated and kept my job with professor Lowen until I had this adoption situation figured out and was ready to start the residency.
That morning my phone rang insanely early, I reached for it on the nightstand to turn the alarm off but when I looked at the screen and saw the social worker number on it I jumped on the bed probably giving a heart attack to Sarah "she's calling".
She turned around to face me "answer the damned phone before it stops ringing!" She scolded me, she had more hopes than she liked to admit.
"Hello" I said and my job was pretty much done because she was a very talkative persone so she talked for around two minutes before I could reply again "so can we come today?" I asked and exhaled when I heard a yes on the other side of the phone. "Great, we'll be there, thank you" I said taking Sarah's hand into mine and squeezing it to tell her everything was okay until I finally ended the call.
"We did it, we passed every phase, WE'RE HER NEW MOMS oh my god I can't believe this is real" I looked at Sarah, she had a dreamy smile on her face and she was giggling like a little girl "yes yes yes, so the fact we're not legally married wasn't a problem!" She had been worrying about this all the time for over six months. I laughed "Sarah they're giving a 7-year-old to two women, did you really think marriage was that important to them at this point? They wanted to see we loved her and they saw it" I said and leaned in to kiss her, I meant a brief kiss but she deepened it "I suggest you think carefully if you wanna turn down a sex possibility right before becoming a parent and not having time nor energy for everything else than work and baby" she said.
I faked actually thinking about it and said "well... it makes sense I guess" I said kissing her again but with more passion.

After being in the social worker's office for nearly an hours signing papers we finally managed to get out "I thought she was going to drown us in all that paper, she looked so confuse I almost felt sorry for her" Sarah said giggling while we were going back to the car.
"Can you believe we did this? Can you believe we have a child now?" I said trying to process all that had already happened that morning.
"I know right? We went from 0 to moms in..." she checked her phone for the time "...one hour" she laughed but it was a weird laugh.
"Sarah I need to think this is the right thing for you because there's no going back now" I said a little panicked because I didn't know what she was feeling in that moment.
"I do. This is the best thing, I'm not saying it's not but I am just... you know, scared. I wanna be good, I wanna be better than what she already had" she said and I perceived all the love that had grown into her for Vanessa and I couldn't have been happier than I was.
"We should go tell her, shouldn't we?" I proposed.
"Oh we better go tell her right now she's getting the green-walls bedroom she asked for" she said and we laughed together remembering how much fun we had painting that room. This was so beautiful we were finally going to be happy. We finally had reached the end of the adoption process, Vanessa was happier and for this reason she was also getting better, fighting harder, I had a job I loved, the woman I loved, the best friends in the whole world and couldn't ask for anything more.
"Why are you looking so lost babe? I know that face..." she glanced at me for a moment before pinning her eyes on the road again.
"I was just thinking how lucky and happy I am" I said taking the hand she put on my thigh.

Hey guys I know it's been a while from the last chapter again but I hope you'll forgive me and still read it. Thanks for 9k the really got way far than I expected and it's all thanks to you, so yeah, this is it until the next chapter. Stay safe, I love you.

Oh and.. I also started something new so to all the fans of how to get away with murder (if there are) please check it out.