Antibodies

One week of my isolation time with the patient had almost passed when she started to develop some suspicious symptoms. After all, it was too good to be true that we both could've made it out of there without any complications. I spent something like 24 hours a day wearing a face mask, when she was asleep I was awake anyway, the only time I had to "rest" was when someone between Dr Lowen or some nurses came to watch her while I slept but they were after all behind a glass so I had to be the one in charge of any crisis and this was starting to hit my system pretty badly. Not only once, during the week we had been in that room together, I had been experiencing panic attacks and breathing behind that mask was torture. But we were just coming to see the light at the end of the tunnel, she had been doing much better in the past few days. Some of that pressure was leaving me and I was finally letting myself hope that I could've been home to Sarah and Vanessa soon to be there for them in this difficult time. The last time I had seen them was behind that glass wall and I was missing them so much we all had teary eyes every time we were videocalling on the phone. They always acted strong for me but I saw it and I did the same for them though I only wanted to hug them. The ICU was filling up very quickly and the situation was getting pretty bad on the outside I could tell anytime the wrinkles on Dr. Lowen's forehead got a little deeper something was not going how she'd hoped and boy if she hated that but that day she came with a light smile of relief "please tell me why you're smiling, I need to hear something good" I said as she took the phone on the other side of the glass wall.
"She's awake, still in a very dangerous situation but this is progress anyway" she said not giving up to excitement just yet but I couldn't help.
"B! Oh my- SHE'S ALIVE, thank you thank you!" I said, letting the first good news in one stressful week put me in a good mood.
"I hear something good must've happened here uh? And I get from the way you're screaming it's not my husband or my daughter" the patient,
which, I discovered was named Dana, said.
"No I'm sorry not yet but we're doing our best for you and them too" I said internally scolding myself for all that display of joy in front of someone who was suffering.
"I know in fact I owe you, what you went through for me is remarkable" Dana said, I guessed that was the moment she was more into herself since she first arrived at the hospital.
"You don't owe me anything I'm just doing my job" I said sitting next to her bed on a chair.
"This is not just your job" she said "I was unconscious most of the time but I knew that every time my condition got worse you were here" she continued.
"Dana I am a doctor and I make mistakes or I wouldn't have had to be here with you in the first place. I just did my best out of a unfavorable situation"
"You slept on a chair for a week at least let me say thank you! I probably wouldn't be alive if you hadn't took care of me like you did, you were stuck in here with me but none expected you to stay up all night every night to check on me" she added.
"I'm a Doctor that's what I do"
"Yes you really are a doctor kid, more than many other doctors out there" she said smiling to me and leaning her head back on the pillow.
"I'll try to get some information about your husband and your daughter as soon as I can okay? But right now I need your blood!" I said smiling.
"Take all you need doc"
"Okay it will only take a sec..." I said while taking her blood sample to analyze it. "And i also need mine.. good thing I haven't got a weak stomach" I said tying the tourniquet around my harm and pulling one end with my teeth and one with my hand, she covered her eyes anyway.
"You look like you've just gotten out of medschool where the hell did you get the nerve" she said.
"Uh let's just say I'm never the one who stands by and watches I always am the one in action" I said "mostly because I find myself right in the middle of it most of the times so I don't really have a choice and I'm scared every time but I got something worth trying to do my best" I said out loud though at first I was convinced I had only thought that.
"Spit it out. What's his name? We're friends now" she said winking at me. I got she was doing much better she had never been that talkative... and nosy.
"Well it's not a HE" I said trying to get around saying it because I didn't want to stop liking her because she was homophobic.
"Well what's her name then, just tell me, damn" she said and I liked her even more instantly.
"Her name's Sarah" I said lowering my eyes and making a dumb smile because that's what just her name did to me.
"Oh gosh that smile girl you really are in trouble" she said in a fit of laughter.
"I am well past the trouble, I am..." I didn't even know where I was, something near 'I wanna spend the rest of my life with her'?
"in love" she said for me.
"Madly" I said smiling and then realizing that conversation was far from appropriate and that doctor Lowen wouldn't have approved. But i really needed someone to talk to and since we were stuck in there together...
"You do look very happy I hope she never lets you down because from what I can see you're pretty amazing"
"She won't, we've already been through things most of relationships wouldn't have survived" I said and she gave me that inquisitive look "that's a long story but... long story short... her stalker tried to kill me"
"I don't think I got it right, the- her... stalker tried to kill you?" She asked.
"You got it right, yep." I chuckled and realized that was really a lot to process and the confusion in her eyes was so amusing.
"You really gotta elaborate that you know" she said "if you... if it's okay for you to talk about it of course"
I thought about that and decided to try to tell her the story, sparing her the details of course.
By the time I was done she was looking at me like a was a supernatural being with a mix of fear and curiosity.
"That's a lot"
"I know right"
"Yeah but the fact you found each other again after a year of having zero contacts and her thinking you were dead... I don't know looks kinda providential, if you believe in that"
"Oh it's nothing God related that's on Dr. Lowen I think it was her from the start to set up that night for us to meet again" I said getting her meal for her from the box in the wall and setting it up on the tray for her.
"She really bombs, badass vibes I get from that woman I will never look at her the same from today." She said, she was really funny, I didn't know why I found her way of speaking so funny.
"She's great, she's been like a guardian angel for me and i really am grateful for her"  I said.
"So you two have a child now..." she said getting into that again.
"Yeah we do, it's kind of a new thing though, she hadn't been with us long before all this mess happened" I said "but I guess this time just them 2 has done them good, that must have brought them closer" I continued.
"It sure has, I must say I hadn't seen it coming... this kind of story, I guess I know where your bravery comes from" she said.
"Thank you but I haven't always been like that, when I was doing bad, between life and death I was so damn scared and closed up in my self I distanced everyone including Sarah, of course I did to protect her too, but not entirely it was my decision, I was just scared and panicked"
"Who wouldn't have been in that situation?"
"Nobody, just saying I was scared, I'm scared often, like everyone would be"
"Yeah but you pulled through, you held on to life with everything you had when it would've been easier to let go, that just happens when you have something worth the pain, like I do have my husband and my daughter, I value that and thank you for sharing your story with me, I hope my child grows up with even just half the courage you have" she said and those words really touched me, she had always given me the impression of a good person but then I knew for sure.
A few hours later her labs came in and showed she was on full recovery while my labs showed something weird, antibodies, when I hadn't even had that thing yet, when Doctor Lowen came to discuss this she thought of an asymptomatic outcome, meaning that she might have passed me whatever this disease was caused by but I didn't develop any symptoms, but I came up with something else, I recalled from reading my chart that during the surgery to replace my kidney there were complications and blood had to be transfused in order to save my life and not waste a kidney. Even though I was aware that antibodies have a life span of 15 days give or take that shouldn't have been impossible but she seemed to be thinking through that and actually considering it and said she would've run some other tests on me. Yay couldn't think of a funnier way to spend my time.
Anyway the patient was no more contagious so she could be freed from isolation and could join her husband in a shared room as further exams had shown that they had both had the same thing and he was recovering too.
The moment I told her her eyes teared up and she started thanking me again for e everything I had done for her and her family and I was really glad she was okay but honestly all I could think about were Sarah and Vanessa even though I knew it wasn't time for me to go home, until I was sure it was safe to stay around some fragile patients like Vanessa was.
I stayed in isolation even after the patient was taken to another room for precaution and also because I didn't really wanna go outside and putting others in danger. I took a good look at the other bed that they had arranged for me in that room and probably that was the only time I actually saw it. I took off my shoes, my white coat and sat on the edge, then I put my head on the pillow and my feet up on the bed and in less than a blink of an eye I drifted off to sleep.
I was awakened by a dull noise, someone was tapping on the glass and when i turned on my side to see who it was I saw doctor Lowen.
I got up reluctantly and grabbed the telephone receiver "Yes" I answered though it didn't sound as much of a question as I intended.
"As impossible as it seemed... it's actually real, it's antibodies... which means in this freaking world you're the only damn person that cannot catch this thing." She said and i immediately felt completely awake.
"So I can go out! I can... go..." I said while I was struggling to catch my breath from the rush of adrenaline. She pushed the button and opened the door and I shoot out of there as if I was scared it was going to close unexpectedly and even more unexpectedly she hugged me and after a moment of not really knowing what was going on I hugged her back.
"I was so worried you would have had to go through hell again, you didn't deserve it and fortunately you're safe"
"That's odd though I still don't understand... is it really safe for me to go home?" I asked.
She pulled back from the hug to look at me.
"I think it's fine and I think you need to go home... also what you need is a shower, lady" she laughed.
"Omg I've been babysitting 24/7 give me a break" I laughed.
"You've done much more, you will realize with time" she said.
"So it's safe if I go see B before I go home right?" I asked though I was pretty sure I could.
"Yes, let's go I'll show you her room" she said leading the way.
"Peter!" I yelled once I saw him in the hallway and I received a side look from Dr Lowen.
"Oh my God! You're okay!" He said hugging me.
"I am, how is she? is she awake?" I asked.
"No she's sleeping, still has a mild fever but looks like she's out of the woods for now."
"Oh I am so relieved, you don't know how guilty I felt..."
"Why would you"
"Because I wasn't here when she needed me like she was for me when I needed her" I said.
"You were dealing with your own problems though Sylvia"
"I know but I'm always dealing with something" I said and our eyes crossed for a moment and he smiled sadly "I'm going to go home now, I'll have a proper shower and regain my human being form and I'll be back ASAP" I said "will you be here?"
"In sickness and in health, I have to hear her say that, she won't die on my watch" he said.
"You will, I am sure." I said and left. I hurried in the corridors finding my way out of there, I wore a mask and walked home to Sarah and Vanessa. I hadn't even texted or called, just went and thought this could be a good surprise.
I entered the key in the lock very very slowly trying not to make too much noise.
I closed the door and took some steps and there I saw them huddled on the couch, Vanessa was covered with a blanket and Sarah was hugging her from behind, she had probably learned that made her feel safe. They were both sound asleep but the TV was on so I enjoyed that view for a few more seconds trying to sculpt it into my eyes and memory and the I turned off the TV. Probably the sudden luck of the distant voices made Sarah wake up because she shook her head a little, her eyes still closed.
"Babe I'm home" I said kneeling beside the sofa.
Her eyes suddenly shoot open and she got up to sit on the sofa "oh my god!" she said with teary eyes "you're really here! Are you okay? Oh my god. I missed you so much"
"I missed you two too" I said stroking Vanessa's cheek and she finally woke up too "yes I'm okay-" the moment I said that they both threw their arms around me and hugged me very tight. I exhaled in relief and I allowed myself to feel that contact I had been craving for a full week.
"Finally you're here again" Vanessa said.
"Yes baby I'm here, I'm okay, we're okay" more to myself than to her probably.
I kissed both their foreheads and said "now you know what I wanna do?" I said sitting between Sarah and Vanessa while she rested her head on my lap.
"What do you wanna do babe?" Sarah asked.
"I wanna sleep with you two!" I said.
"So am I allowed to sleep in the middle?" Vanessa said with hope in her voice.
"You most surely are but what you're not allowed to do is..." I said pausing because I liked to see her thrilled by the suspense "leave my arms until I say you can, the only reason why I could possibly justify you leaving is if you have to use the bathroom are we clear?" I said joking.
"Yes ma'am" she said chuckling "so can I go to your room?" She asked.
"Go, you have the very important duty to prep the bed, do your best" I said watching her go.
"Are you actually okay?" Sarah asked when Vanessa was out of the room like I was lying about my health.
"Yes, you thought I would've risked it with Vanessa I wasn't 100% sure?" I asked a little hurt.
"No I was just worrying too much I guess. Without you I felt lost all the time and I was so worried something was going to happen to you" she said looking me in the eyes and brushing my hair off my face.
"I'm here baby, I'm okay, I know you were worried because the last time you had left me in a hospital you've been thinking I was dead for a year but you don't have to worry anymore" I said stroking the back of her neck gently.
"I love you so much" she said.
"I love you too" I said just in time before she kissed me and the feeling was always the same maybe even better after all that time apart. She pushed her plump lips against mine harder and I knew we wanted the same thing but that was not the right time so I had to interrupt the moment though reluctantly.
"Let's go to bed, shall we?" She said smiling.
"Sure you go ahead, I'll take a shower and be right there in a minute" I said.
I headed to the bathroom to take a shower and once I was done I wore my pajamas and crawled into bed next to Vanessa circling her waist with my arms and placing a kiss on her nape, I drifted off to sleep soon after.

Hiiii guys I know it's been awfully long since my last update and I'm so sorry but you gotta know it may take a while but I'll always update this story. It's my mission to finish it. Hope y'all are doing well!
Have you seen Ratched yet? I found it amazing and Sarah mastered that part, it was like she blessed us all with all that free display of pure talent!😍 let me know what your thoughts are about the chapter and ratched as well. I'm taking requests or a suggestions for a Mildolyn ff. 😉❤️