Chapter 4

I was gently shaken awake by a servant woman. "Miss. It's early but you and the priest need to get ready for your trip to Sindria." To be completely honest I forgot all about going back to Sindria. It's not that I didn't want to go back, I just found something to keep me in the Kou Empire.

"Okay. Thank you ma'am. What can I help pack?" I didn't get out of bed yet because I knew that Judar would throw a fit.

"Nothing my lady. We have already packed you and the priest bags." She smiled at me. "The ship leaves at 10 so someone will be by to take you to the port this morning." She quietly and quickly leaves the room, careful not to disturb the sleeping magi.

I poked Judar's cheek. "Wake up sleepy head." I giggled. He didn't move so I ruffled his hair but still he didn't budge. "Come on. What will it take for you to get up?" I mumbled.

"3 guesses." He sleepily replied, still keeping his eyes shut.

"Come on Judar we need to get up. Our ship will leave soon."

"Err. Wrong. 2 guesses left." He shifted in bed and pressed his cheek to my temple.

"Juuuudddaaarrr." I sang to him.

"1 guess." I sighed.

"Fine." I placed a small kiss on his cheek and pulled myself out of his grasp. "I'll get your peaches."

"We have ourselves a winner!" I hear him call after me and I laughed.

When I got to the peach tree in the garden I jumped up several feet to grab the fruit. A couple more peaches fell to the ground and rolled to my feet. I picked them up, and for the first time since I've been staying at the Kou palace, I was reminded that I was a slave. My purple scars and broken skin circled my ankles. My wrist were in better shape but I could still see several scars that littered my arms my previous master gave me for being useless. I looked down at my body and realized how thin I actually was. Since I've been here, I have eaten more and put on more weight but it still doesn't excuse my visible ribs and thin face.

I sat by the tree and pulled out my small dagger. "Hey there Jinx... remember me?" I often talked to my djinn whenever no one else was around. "So listen I don't know what I'm supposed to do. The guy I like is my new master and I'm just now figuring out how to use you. Compared to everyone else I'm pretty useless and weak. I don't understand why Judar even cares about me... I'm not even pretty. Please Jinx help me." The 8 pointed star lit up when I finished talking. "I'm sorry but I don't understa-"

"Hey! I thought you were getting my peaches."

"Hi Ju Ju. Sorry I was but I got distracted." I realized that my purple ankles were visible so I tried covering them with the hem of my dress.

"Why is your djinn acting weird?" He looks at the glowing star and touches it, completely oblivious to me and my pathetic efforts of covering my legs with my short night gown. In a windstorm, my djinn sat in front of me in bodily form. She towers over me but she tried to meet me at eye level as best she could.

I was so shocked that I couldn't speak. "Kayla as your djinn, who reins over wind and beauty, I can't allow you to feel bad about yourself. I've grown to love you, ya know." Her voice was laidback and a bit deep for a woman but it was soothing. She reached down and ruffled my hair with her finger. "Get some confidence why don't you!"

"What is going on?" Judar asked not the slightest bit interested.

"My magi, this girl here says she's pathetic and ugly." The magi turn to me with a determined expression.

"You're not either one of those things so you better get that straight. You're the most gorgeous girl in Kou and I'm gonna prove it to you, idiot." He said while pointing a finger, accusingly at me. My face heated up and I quickly looked away.

"Thank you magi. I must be going now." She disappeared leaving me with a pissed off Judar.

"Come on let's go." He grabbed me with one arm and a peach with the other and stomped through the palace, eventually stopping at his door.

Judar's POV

'She thinks she's ugly and weak? Bullshit!' I dragged her to my room as I ate my peach. 'I'll make her see how beautiful she is.' I throw her onto my bed and then I head back out of the room to get Kougyoku and Kouha.

The little twerp showed up the instant he heard he could do Kayla's hair. "Finally! I've been waiting for so long!" He runs up to the confused fanalis girl.

"Kouha don't be an idiot. You only met her a couple weeks ago!"

He jumps behind her and begins running his hands through her hair. "Oh really? Well it's only been a couple weeks but you still looovveeee her!" Kayla's face turned red and I stood there taken aback and embarrassed. Right on cue Kougyoku ran in with some of her favorite dresses, breaking the awkward silence.

"Since I'm helping with dress up does that mean we can be friends miss Kayla?"

"Of course princess but I still don't understand what this is all about. Why are you all doing this for a maid? Shouldn't you be preparing yourself for the boat ride soon?" Everyone stopped what they were doing.

'She thinks she's a maid?!' I spoke first and folded my arms. "No you idiot you're not a maid. You're mine. Didn't I make that clear to you yesterday?" Kouha whistled and Kougyoku and Kayla were blushing.

"I-I didn't know you actually meant it." A beautiful, timid smile spread across her face and my heart melted a little.

"Alright whatever. We have to hurry up or we'll be late. Old lady did you tell Hakuryuu to be on the ship by 10?"

"Well I did but he said he wouldn't go. He's nervous to see that Morgiana girl after all this time so Kouha is going instead." The 8th princess informed me.

I thought he would be over all of these feelings by now but I guess not. "Can't be helped." Kouha squealed that he was finished and Kougyoku pulled Kayla into the bathroom to help her dress in a long red dress with gold and black details.

My girl walked into the room a few minutes later with her beautiful red-pink hair draped over her shoulder in an elaborate braid with small white flowers decorating it. Her red dress fit her perfectly and hugged all of her curves. "S-So how is it?" She hid behind her braid as she picked at the ends of her hair.

"You look good." I was supposed to say she was beautiful but I couldn't say it in front of the two siblings in the room.

"Kayla don't listen to him. You look beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous!" Kougyoku hugged my girl and jumped with joy.

"You're a fox Kayla! You look amazing!" I grunted at the small prince.

"Thank you all," Wow she didn't stutter. I guess she's getting more confident. "We should head to the boats soon right?"

"Yeah come on let's go." I grabbed her waist and floated us into the air and out of my window. Kougyoku and Kouha called for their servants and followed in their djinn equips.

"Wait don't we need to get our bags?" She held onto me tightly and wouldn't open her eyes.

"Nah. The maids came by earlier and got them." We landed on the ship and half an hour later, we were on our way to Sindria.